hip hop as poetry?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hip hop as poetry?

hip hop as poetry?

Does anyone else on this forum harbor a deep love for the musical genre of hip hop, and or consider it a form of poetry? Some of my favourite all time "poems" Are the lyrics of hip hop tracks. Does anyone else here WRITE rap or want to learn? Sound off bellow! Travilla out!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhymetravilla View Post
    Sound off bellow!
    a Freudian slip? - if you think gang culture, gun culture and sexism are worth shouting about, go for it.

Rap died when Blondie came out with Rapture, the best ever rap song - so, the genre has descended into hip-hop.
    and with it The Black Street Boys and NWA set a high standard that has only declined.
    Last edited by ned; May 28th, 2018 at 09:40 PM.

Check out Telephone by no name gypsy, MM food by mf doom, and only built for cuban lynx by ghostface and raekwon the chef, and get back to me.

I would think it only fair to express my opinion that Hip hop is a positive thing that has deeply effect my life, and that gang culture, sexism and guns are hardly a fair statement across the whole genre. Again, no name, a fmeal, non sexualized MC performing with the best male artists of the day.

I don't want to incendiate anything, but many of the same things were said of rock and other musical genres before they were mainstreamed. (And for the record, guns, misogyny, etc. are ... out there in the wild and people's songs reflect that -- in any genre ... some of the nastiest lyrics are found in traditional folk songs.)
    Everything you want is just outside your comfort zone.
    Robert G. Allen

I agree wholeheartedly.

Quote Originally Posted by astroannie View Post
    many of the same things were said of rock and other musical genres before they were mainstreamed.
    where have you been living? - hip hop has been mainstream for decades now - it's not some new fad - in fact so mainstream, that it has left the streets and moved into the corporate offices.

Quote Originally Posted by astroannie View Post
    (And for the record, guns, misogyny, etc. are ... out there in the wild and people's songs reflect that -
    of course, but there is a world of difference between reflecting social problems and celebrating them.

As said, I have enjoyed and been influenced by much hip hop - most notably the political awareness of Public Enemy.

and from the crack minded attack of NWA to the weedy feel of Dr Dre (hey! I'm a poet).

and no doubt, hip hop has empowered generations of the under-represented to find a voice.

and of course, it ain't all about gangs, guns, drugs and sexism - but when addressing a whole genre (especially gangsta rap)
    I can only generalize, and if we go through all the exceptions, we'll be here all day.

the problem is, the artists may only be reflecting the harsh reality of life on the streets, but I imagine that many naive listeners might take their message as an endorsement of crime.

so, where is hip hop now? - out of interest, I looked up music paper rolling stone for their top ten hip hop songs of all time - the latest one in the list comes from 1994.

I listen to BBC Radio 6, a fabulous station that plays an eclectic mix of music including hip hop - and for the umpteenth time heard Childish Gambino's 'This is America'. - a pleasant enough song, with African beats, gospel choir and really lame lyrics - disappointingly, it descends into the lazy cliche of using gun-fire in an attempt to say anything meaningful.

The video is shocking - dancers smile while the singer shoots people - it looks over-produced and expensive (corporate?)

but if a mainstream hip hop artist can only express himself in the visual medium, rather then in their songs and lyrics, things are looking bad.

hip hop has outlived new wave, indie, grunge and britpop - to name a few - but maybe, it's time is over.

hip hop as poetry? - sure, but not very good poetry (yes, there are bound to be exceptions).

because the bad rhyming and constant cliches do not translate well to the written word -

sorry to bang on, but I'm enjoying the debate...............Ned

A very good post? But a quesion as to the bad rhyming? And keep in mind my tastes are pretty out there. No one in NWA makes my top ten, nor does eminem. And I get the supposed endorsement of crime. But really, bad rhymes? might I reccomend the guidlines by Aceyalone, an MC who is also a spoken word poet.

Pharaoh monch, bustarhymes, aceyalone, Del the funky homosapien, slug from atmosphere, Murs Black thought, chance the rapper, mf doom and ghostface killer. Aesop rock and sage francis just miss it for me.

far out?
    you seem to have narrowed the parameters of your original question to a cross-section of about a dozen artists.

But I'm interested on how rap/hip hop is written without the music.

What defining features would it have? Would it be the concepts engaged or the layout, perhaps?
    Really, I'd like to know your thoughts on this.

You don't like Eminem? - Nor do I.......then again, I don't like Kate Tempest.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast