Page 94 of 96 FirstFirst ... 44848687888990919293949596 LastLast

Thread: "Literary Maneuvers" Coffee Shop

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Istine View Post
    Suggest: Halloween dream
    Suggest: October farce
    Suggest: An aye for an eye

Second: The Scarecrow
    Second Halloween Dream.
    Last edited by luckyscars; October 21st, 2019 at 04:58 AM.
    "If you don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree."

"Perhaps I write for no one. Perhaps for the same person children are writing for when they scrawl their names in the snow."

In the meantime, am I allowed to shamelessly plug? I just discovered a new, LM-Lite competition on the forum and think it's such a gnarly idea that I want to play my part promoting it to the writingforum masses. Ahem:

The Lean and Mean competition, 'Write a Story Based on a Song,' is now closed! Read the awesome entries here --> https://www.writingforums.com/thread...on-a-Song-quot

And once you've made your decision, lend your vote over hither! --> https://www.writingforums.com/thread...on-a-Song-quot

I've got about two that I'm debating back and forth in my noggin. I will cast my vote later tonight. Trump who? Clinton what? Forget all that. These are the kind of votes that really matter, people!

VOTE TODAY.

Just got my scores in.

Twenty (Zimbabwean) dollars says The Staithes Pike by 'Anonymous' is bdcharles. Just putting that out there
    "If you don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree."

"Perhaps I write for no one. Perhaps for the same person children are writing for when they scrawl their names in the snow."

Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post
    An urban fairytale written in just dialogue that actually works...sounds like it'd coast to first.

Yeah I find writing a scene in just dialogue is relatively comfortable, because in that case the story would already be somewhat defined, but a story with a beginning-middle-end and no scene-setting or description...that's hard. Not impossible but very challenging. Which of course was why I suggested it

I guess the beauty of this challenge is it offers something for different skill levels to test themselves with. An urban fairytale is moderately challenging because it would involve creating a fairytale feeling in an atypical setting, good for those who have only written within their comfort zones. The black diamond run here is definitely the dialogue option though.
    Just so you know, Lucky; this ^^^ was why I went with the dialogue option instead of either of the two Inferno-related scenes (even though they had some sparkling descriptions and haunting imagery). Tried to spiffy it up into a vaguely coherent story with a beginning, middle and end; keep it nothing but dialogue and make it an urban fairy tale for ya. T'was a challenge (but one I enjoyed)! Hopefully, it worked well enough for you, but I'll find out at the end of the month

Still think it's hilarious that ten years after the original fairy tale prompt that started the WIP, I got to use Pinocchio as a stripper again in another fairy tale LM. Sadly, the original entry "Pieces of Ass" has been lost from the site, and I don't have a copy of it.
    "Ammonia will disinfect sin."
    --adrianhayter

"Art is life, just add bull****."
    --Chris Miller

Blog Entries
    Just got my scores in.

Twenty (Zimbabwean) dollars says The Staithes Pike by 'Anonymous' is bdcharles. Just putting that out there
    Hmm. What's the exchange rate on those ZBD's?

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

Blog Entries
    Just got my scores in.

I asked the same thing via PM.
    "Don't fuck with writers, we will describe you." -unknown

My blog- Hidden Content thoughts on trauma and healing through psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy

"When a child is abused, he or she will often internalise that abuse as deserved. It is a cruel reality that a child needs the parent so much, is evolutionarily programmed to trust them so implicitly, that when a parent is abusive the child will take the blame rather than completely upend their world and blame the person they depend on for survival." -velo

Quote Originally Posted by bdcharles View Post
    Hmm. What's the exchange rate on those ZBD's?
    It's actually not too bad apparently:

1 USD = 361.900 ZWL

Looks like someone has not followed the developments on the exchange markets, the shift from ZWD to RTGS etc. Things are not what they used to be.

Iranian Rial would have probably been a better choice.

1 USD = 42,190.50 IRR
    I threw a glance at humankind and saw them treacherous and feeble.
    Severe judges, cruel, unkind and fools who are always close to evil.
    Before their frightful, anxious mob, indifferent hate forever rages.
    Not learnt the lessons from the ages!
    What use are wise and tempered words?
    "Sometime, in my sweet blindness" - Pushkin

Blog Entries
    I'll gather up the secondeds and put a poll up tomorrow. Last chance to give that excessively niche, unwriteable category the airing it deserves.

Suggest:
    - Badger Healing
    - Write using your elbows

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,

It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

- Wham!

Blog Entries
    The voting ... it is up

It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

- Wham!

I should have my scores in by tonight or tomorrow morning all. Thanks.

~ J. J.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

"He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot." - Douglas Adams