"Literary Maneuvers" Coffee Shop - Page 90

Page 90 of 94 FirstFirst ... 408082838485868788899091929394 LastLast

Thread: "Literary Maneuvers" Coffee Shop

Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post
    Okay - feel free to disagree with me on this but it's my opinion that I feel I should disclose as one of the judges...

Writing an urban fairytale is a MUCH easier as a brief than writing a story using only dialogue.
    I would much rather write a dialogue only story than an urban fairy tale, but I'm weird like that. In fact, I'm a bit chuffed that I chose this month to judge! Still, I don't think it's cut and dry. Some people are more comfortable with dialogue and there are many dialogue-only short stories out there, some of them have won awards. But still, all stories will need to have the same criteria for a good short story, including conflict, resolution, feeling and expressive writing. I look forward to reading and judging the entries this month.

Cheers.

J. J.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

"He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot." - Douglas Adams

Blog Entries
    If anyone’s looking for Urban Fairytale inspiration, give Carnival Row on Amazon Prime a binge...

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

Quote Originally Posted by bdcharles View Post
    If anyone’s looking for Urban Fairytale inspiration, give Carnival Row on Amazon Prime a binge...
    Hi bdcharles,

Please check your private message inbox.
    I threw a glance at humankind and saw them treacherous and feeble.
    Severe judges, cruel, unkind and fools who are always close to evil.
    Before their frightful, anxious mob, indifferent hate forever rages.
    Not learnt the lessons from the ages!
    What use are wise and tempered words?
    "Sometime, in my sweet blindness" - Pushkin

Here's a weird question... kinda wondering what counts as urban or a fairytale.

I just wrote a scene in which a strip club has been melded with Dante's Inferno. Not sure if Dante would count--plenty of people don't believe a word of it, whole thing's allegorical anyway, quite old and famous. Also not sure if I'd be able to edit it down and make a fancy scene/story out of it in 650, but I could try.

What's hilarious to me is that it's a sequel of sorts to the first "retell a fairytale" LM prompt I did (the one that spawned Pinocchio as a half-ass exotic dancer in the first place).

Got a well-read character having a lot of crazy, allegorical nightmares, so references to other books and fairytales have been cropping up a lot lately in my WIP. Might be able to twist something from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and/or Sleeping Beauty around. Have to see what I can do with what I've got because I don't have time or mental power to spare on some all-new retelling of some other fairytale at the moment.
    "Ammonia will disinfect sin."
    --adrianhayter

"Art is life, just add bull****."
    --Chris Miller

I think it's a fairy tale if it starts with "Once upon a time." I have no idea what I'm talking about, though. :p

Quote Originally Posted by seigfried007 View Post
    Here's a weird question... kinda wondering what counts as urban or a fairytale.

I just wrote a scene in which a strip club has been melded with Dante's Inferno. Not sure if Dante would count--plenty of people don't believe a word of it, whole thing's allegorical anyway, quite old and famous. Also not sure if I'd be able to edit it down and make a fancy scene/story out of it in 650, but I could try.

What's hilarious to me is that it's a sequel of sorts to the first "retell a fairytale" LM prompt I did (the one that spawned Pinocchio as a half-ass exotic dancer in the first place).

Got a well-read character having a lot of crazy, allegorical nightmares, so references to other books and fairytales have been cropping up a lot lately in my WIP. Might be able to twist something from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and/or Sleeping Beauty around. Have to see what I can do with what I've got because I don't have time or mental power to spare on some all-new retelling of some other fairytale at the moment.
    A fairytale is essentially just folklore in the form of a short story, usually with supernatural elements. I think Dante is fine. It may not be a fairytale in its original form but your interpretation of it most certainly would be. It's definitely 'supernatural'
    "If you don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree."

From the OED

A tale about fairies; a tale set in fairyland; esp. any of various short tales having folkloric elements and featuring fantastic or magical events or characters. Also as a mass noun: such stories collectively or as a genre. Cf. fairy story n. 1.Classed as a type of folk tale, many fairy tales exist in various versions deriving from long traditions of oral storytelling. Often stylized in form and having a structure following certain general conventions, they are sometimes associated with idealized happy endings or viewed as stories for children.

2. Something resembling a fairy tale in being unreal or incredible, or in having an idealized happy ending. Also: a fabricated story; a lie. Cf. fairy story n. 2.

B. adj. (chiefly attributive).
    Thesaurus »

Having the qualities associated with fairy tales; magical, incredible; idealized. Cf. fairy story adj.

C1. General attributive and objective, as fairy-tale hero, fairy-tale heroine, fairy-tale writer, etc.

C2.

fairy-tale ending n. a perfect, happy, often simplistic ending or resolution to a story, resembling those often found in fairy tales; also in extended use.Frequently with reference to the convention of ending fairy tales with formulaic phrases affirming the continued happiness of the protagonists; cf. happily ever after at happily adv. Phrases.

ˈfairy-tale-ish adj. (somewhat) characteristic of or resembling a fairy tale; = sense B.

ˈfairy-tale-like adj.

Thought I almost had a fairy tale in nothing but dialogue, but I realized it wasn't dialogue. Had two speakers each talking to different/the same person, but this person/people never responded verbally and/or his/their responses were not included in the text, so I can't call it dialogue. It's the closest to a story (as opposed to a scene), and the setting can be edited out without detracting too much; sticky point is if it qualifies as "dialogue only."

And it was followed up by a scene I'm pretty proud of conflating Sloth/Sullenness (lower level of the fifth circle, Wrath) with the blue caterpillar from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Problem with this one is that while it's clear in the narrative that David's backstage at a strip club, that isn't clear in the chapter, so it doesn't come off as urban. Paraphernalia is certainly associated with urban/modern usage and environments, but a giant mushroom just ain't very urban. Allegories, metaphors and nightmares are weird like that. Much like the original scene in the strip club, it's not really a story on its own so much as a scene the MC is trying to get through.

Not sure how well I'd be able to turn any of them into a 650 story in their own right--even if they did qualify as dialogue, urban or a fairy tales. Suppose I could enter one and let the judges toss it out/grade it harshly for not applying, but I'd rather not give them more work to do and waste their time. Even if I don't enter one, I at least wanted everyone here to know I'm thinking about you and the contest.
    --adrianhayter

--Chris Miller

Quote Originally Posted by seigfried007 View Post
    Not sure how well I'd be able to turn any of them into a 650 story in their own right--even if they did qualify as dialogue, urban or a fairy tales. Suppose I could enter one and let the judges toss it out/grade it harshly for not applying, but I'd rather not give them more work to do and waste their time. Even if I don't enter one, I at least wanted everyone here to know I'm thinking about you and the contest.
    I say go for it and enter your entry in. It's all experience in the end. What's the worst that can happen? Judges will give you some good pointers.
    I threw a glance at humankind and saw them treacherous and feeble.
    Severe judges, cruel, unkind and fools who are always close to evil.
    Before their frightful, anxious mob, indifferent hate forever rages.
    Not learnt the lessons from the ages!
    What use are wise and tempered words?
    "Sometime, in my sweet blindness" - Pushkin

Quote Originally Posted by Mish View Post
    I say go for it and enter your entry in. It's all experience in the end. What's the worst that can happen? Judges will give you some good pointers.
    Spent all day working on a dialogue-only urban fairy tale and getting it to 650 (excluding its lengthy title). Feel bad that I didn't use the more obviously Inferno-related ones and went with the most "complete story" of my options (even though I'm super proud of those Inferno scenes and really tried to shoehorn them into proper urban fairy tales).
    --adrianhayter

--Chris Miller