"Literary Maneuvers" Coffee Shop - Page 25

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15171819202122232425
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by velo View Post
    I'll judge.
    Nice one thank you

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

I had to do my homework for this prompt, but I'm definitely submitting something for this. As usual, my first draft will be 1000+ words and then the chopping will begin.

~ J. J.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

"He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot." - Douglas Adams

I'm going to enter this months competition, just need to shed a hundred words, but a question about the secure entries bit: what is the advantage of retaining 'first rights' and being undetectable to search engines? Does it mean that if I post in the normal section someone could steal my brilliant ideas as their own? I have a vague plan of maybe expanding my idea to a longer short story - but being realistic that's unlikely to happen. Are there any disadvantages to posting to the secure entries?

I'm going to enter this months competition, just need to shed a hundred words, but a question about the secure entries bit: what is the advantage of retaining 'first rights' and being undetectable to search engines? Does it mean that if I post in the normal section someone could steal my brilliant ideas as their own? I have a vague plan of maybe expanding my idea to a longer short story - but being realistic that's unlikely to happen. Are there any disadvantages to posting to the secure entries?
    Hi Epimetheus. I have submitted a story this time, too, and for the first time since becoming a member, used the protection of retaining first rights because my story is part of a bigger project. When you submit and post to the open forum, it is considered "published." In doing that, if you should ever want to publish it elsewhere, you would have to say that it had been published as part of a comp. on writing forums. That has typically not been an issue for me in the past, although I have seen many others routinely post on the secure entry area. The idea of theft does not really come up, since we simply do not do that here, but if it concerns you and you feel you may want to submit your work for publication, you might consider giving it the protection. The only disadvantage, if you want to call it that, for posting a secure entry is that people looking at entries in the competition have to click on a link to get to yours, instead of just scrolling down the page.

That is also the difference between submitting to the Fiction Workshop (Members' Only Areas, hidden from guests and search engines.), for example, as opposed to General Fiction (Be aware that posts in this forum are visible to non members and search engines. If you wish to retain exclusive or first publication rights to your works, you should post them in the appropriate Workshop.)

So excited for you to enter! Good for you and good luck!
    When the night has come
    And the land is dark
    And the moon is the only light we'll see
    No, I won't be afraid, no I won't be afraid
    Just as long as you stand by me.

I do it by default, just to keep my options open. If I ever decide to submit elsewhere I don't have to worry about it.
    Pull no punches. If you are critiquing my work, please don't worry about hurting my feelings. As long as your comments are your legitimate views they are welcome. We learn best from our failures.

Hidden Content thoughts on trauma and healing through psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy

Blog Entries
    One more day to show me your mad, your deluded, your damaged, your innocent, your outright fabricators. Or something else entirely.

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,

It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

- Wham!

Blog Entries
    OK this month's comp is closed to entries, so thank you to all who entered this time round. Judges, if I could have your scores - the ones that have yet to send, that is - that would be superb. Meanwhile let's kick off some prompt suggestions for December and get a brace of judges lined up. Anyone can judge; literally anyone. If you can read, and hold an opinion, you can do it.

It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

- Wham!

A Few Prompts:

First Year Issues
    Deadline: Missed

Also, I would like to judge next month.

Cheers.

~ J. J.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

"He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot." - Douglas Adams