The Future of Writing? - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My experience is that books haven't changed much in price in the last 20 years. I just went through my Amazon orders comparing the prices I paid for books -- both reprints of classics and newly published -- and a new hard cover back then cost $20 - $25. I just bought Stephen King's new novel, The Outsider for $17. In 1999 I bought Richard Matheson's, I Am Legend in trade paperback for $10, it costs just under that now.

I've been hearing that books are dead since the first Kindle was sold. Books are doing fine.
    “Fools” said I, “You do not know
    Silence like a cancer grows
    Hear my words that I might teach you
    Take my arms that I might reach you”
    But my words like silent raindrops fell
    And echoed in the wells of silence : Simon & Garfunkel

Those who enjoy stirring the chamber-pot should be required to lick the spoon.

Our job as writers is to make readers dream, to infiltrate their minds with our words and create a new reality; a reality not theirs, and not ours, but a new, unique combination of both.

Visit Amazon and the Kindle Store to check out Reflections in a Black Mirror, and Chase

https://www.amazon.com/author/terrydurbin

maybe it's not the novel that is dying but the writer. it's getting harder and hard to make a living writing books but it's getting easier and easier to sell them. that is if you are one of the big companies. if your an indie writer though then it's just harder. but like all technologies though. eventually no one will be writing books. that is unless your an a.i.
    striding and swagering rootlessness with out end the precious flow of life.

Quote Originally Posted by moderan View Post
    Look! The goalposts!

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-t...iterary-prize/

I haven't read this article but it sounds interesting.

Blog Entries
    Alright folks,

This thread has been taken off track and has become less of a discussion about the 'future of writing.' One sentence and single letter comments add nothing to the discussion, so let's get this thread back on track by discussing the Op's topic.

Anyone got any thoughts about the furture of writing?

tht It's going to be computerized or automated.

Blog Entries
    Why does it have to either or? I know there is a lot of discussion around the whole robots will be doing everything. But how much can a machine be able to write without being able to fully feel human emotion? And writing is emotional, I would like to believe that writing will in the future remain a human persuit, however I do believe that more and more people read on tablets, computors and smart phones now than they read a hard copy of a book.

So while I think that the future of reading is going to be ebooks, I believe that the furture of writing will be a human pursuit.

Quote Originally Posted by H.Brown View Post
    Why does it have to either or? I know there is a lot of discussion around the whole robots will be doing everything. But how much can a machine be able to write without being able to fully feel human emotion? And writing is emotional, I would like to believe that writing will in the future remain a human persuit, however I do believe that more and more people read on tablets, computors and smart phones now than they read a hard copy of a book.

So while I think that the future of reading is going to be ebooks, I believe that the furture of writing will be a human pursuit.
    I kind of agree in the short m but with a.i. almost wining a literary contest and the way computers can mimic humans on the phone now. i.e. the new google assistant that can sound human better than those old phone banks. on top of that know your taste better than you do. there will only be a patient few that actually write or maybe it may be a co-op experience with human guiding it the hole way.

I still maintain my first comments in this thread. This is all on the publishers, and their holier-than-thou attitudes. They're too picky nowadays, and will either publish you or not, more so because they can and have the power, than the quality of your writing. The people, in reality, should have the ultimate say in what they want to read. If the end result is favourable/not favourable, then fine. But not before the public gets to read it and form their own opinion.

-JJB
    ​"Strong convictions precede great actions....."

Quote Originally Posted by JJBuchholz View Post
    I still maintain my first comments in this thread. This is all on the publishers, and their holier-than-thou attitudes. They're too picky nowadays, and will either publish you or not, more so because they can and have the power, than the quality of your writing. The people, in reality, should have the ultimate say in what they want to read. If the end result is favourable/not favourable, then fine. But not before the public gets to read it and form their own opinion.

-JJB
    Which publishers do you mean? Just Big Five? I mean, there are publishers out there who will accept just about anything, but they tend to either charge the writer for the expense of publishing (b/c they can't make money by trying to sell random crap) or they go out of business quickly (because they can't make money by trying to sell random crap).

Publishing is a business. I don't think publishers are trying to be holier-than-anyone. I think they're trying to stay in business.

Self-publishing is always out there for those who can't find a publisher willing to take a chance on their work.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast