To Change Your Author Name and/or Title . . . or Not - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by JJBuchholz View Post
    Personally, I've never seen the point of, nor would I ever use a pen name. I'm of the belief that by using your own name, you stay true to yourself an your writings.

-JJB
    You need a name on the cover to remind you to stay true to yourself? Is there that big of a temptation to be untrue?

Personally, I've never seen the point of, nor would I ever use a pen name. I'm of the belief that by using your own name, you stay true to yourself an your writings.

-JJB
    I'm of the belief that your name has never seen a cover.
    The drawback to pseudonyms, in my view, is that you cannot then identify your work. I used pseudos for many years, as my last name is virtually unpronounceable despite it being only six letters. As a consequence, my byline is not familiar even though I've published thousands of articles, 300+ short stories and two novels over 40 years. Nowadays I use my real name and it feels like starting over, because it is. Lots of those contracts included language to not 'out' the nom de plume.
    Recently, I ghosted someone's political column for two years. I can't reveal who for the rest of this year, and as a consequence, I have no portfolio and no political work is forthcoming unless I want to do HuffPost freebies.

Test Patterns -- still available!
    Volume 2 -- Creature Features coming 2018!
    Caravans Awry pre-orders -- coming Hallowe'en 2018
    I cover the Chicago Cubs daily. Read all about it!

"From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

Using a pen name insulates me from the public. It also allows me to write more than one type of book. See, the Ralph Rotten brand name is designed for a specific type of book; crass, adult content, lewd characters, etc. So if I wanted to write something serious...like literature, or managed to completely trash the brand name, I just write under a new pseudonym.

Also, a pen name allows me to publish the kinds of content that I would not normally publish under my real name; some jobs include background checks, or you may simply not want your family knowing what kinds of things you are writing. Also, a pen name insulates your professional world from your private one; on my RR accounts I avoid politics because it would cost me a lot of readers. I do the political trolling under another name so it doesn't infect the Ralph Rotten accounts.

Exactly, Ralph! I write the middle grade, YA and will do younger reader stories under my own name - if I keep it this way, that is. And I do sweet contemporary romance under my pen, which is one of my nicknames along with my mom's maiden name and mine. So, it's me - sort of, but keeps things apart.

I don't feel I'm being untrue to myself. What I write is where it counts. I'm true to myself there always.
    Writing is 3% talent and 97% not getting distracted by the Internet Anonymous

Http://www.DreamwyndPublishing.com
    http://NovelsByNeenah.com

http://AnitaMShaw.com

Quote Originally Posted by moderan View Post
    I'm of the belief that your name has never seen a cover.
    What does that have to do with anything? I was merely pointing out that I don't see use for pen names. If you want to refute that, go ahead. Just keep comments like the one above out of your response.

-JJB
    ​"Strong convictions precede great actions....."

http://www.jasonbuchholz.net

I'm of the belief that by using your own name, you stay true to yourself an your writings.
    Wait, what? The Easter Bunny is real?
    What does that have to do with anything? I was merely pointing out that I don't see use for pen names. If you want to refute that, go ahead. Just keep comments like the one above out of your response.

-JJB
    It has to do with credibility. Comments like the above-quoted 'belief' make that an issue. And there's your refutation, and the reason why I included that comment, Bubbles.

"From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by moderan View Post
    It has to do with credibility. Comments like the above-quoted 'belief' make that an issue. And there's your refutation, and the reason why I included that comment, Bubbles.
    If assaulting someone else's credibility pads your ego and helps you sleep at night, then good for you.

Have a nice day.

-JJB
    ​"Strong convictions precede great actions....."

http://www.jasonbuchholz.net

Everything I do here is geared toward helping novices that wish to become professionals. It isn't about anyone's ego. It's about advice being inequitable. Perhaps we should just have a scorecard. Sorry if reality intrudes upon your personal narrative. I'm not the only one who holds you in such high regard. Get over it, and let's get back on-topic.
    There are good arguments here, pro and con.
    I can see why an author might not like to parade one's personal politics, especially if they are controversial, and would want to don a pseudonym. I disagree, but then my politics are part of my identity and are often referenced in my fictions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12