Marketing a book
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marketing a book

Marketing a book

I'm currently working on a book right now, and I don't think anyone would want to read it.

To the best of my knowledge, it's a Gothic dark fantasy-body horror-romance about a teenage girl who dreams of the Unseelie, a race of Fae that feed on humans. A horrific accident releases one of these Unseelie into our world and it terrorizes her hometown. She learns about herself and her tragic past by journeying through this dream world and eventually uses her newfound knowledge with her friends to defeat the creature.

That sounds super generic, right? But also kinda weird and insane. How would you get anyone interested?

In fact, how would you get anyone interested in reading a book? Like how do you sell people on a concept or story idea?

You have to be able to boil a story concept down to a single line that hooks the reader. Sometimes that's all you get a chance to say to people before they decide to buy/not buy.
    Then there's the jacket blurb, the description on Amazon...

I'd suggest writing the book first, then worrying about the jacket text. By then you will actually know what the book is about.

Hmm. Alright. That sounds like a better idea.

I don't know why you think no one would want to read it. I'd write it to the best of your ability, then get some other eyes on it with critiques and beta readers. After it's polished, why not try for an agent? Good luck.
    Story Prompts That Work https://www.amazon.com/Story-Prompts...mpts+that+work
    Writing Flash Fiction: How to Write Very Short Stories and Get Them Published http://www.amazon.com/Writing-Flash-...qid=1422776425

Quote Originally Posted by Carly Berg View Post
    I don't know why you think no one would want to read it. I'd write it to the best of your ability, then get some other eyes on it with critiques and beta readers. After it's polished, why not try for an agent? Good luck.
    With the first book there is always the 'rush to publish'. Authors always want to publish the book right away, get that thaaang in print PDFQ.
    But writing is like the story of the two bulls.
    See, once upon a time there was a young bull and an old bull standing on a hill overlooking a valley full of heifers.
    The young bull says "Hey, let's run on down there and fuck a couple of them cows."
    But the old bull shakes his head and says "No, we're gonna WALK down there and fuck them ALL."

So when you write a book, make sure that you walk down into that valley. Take your time to proof it until it is absolutely perfect, then have a professional proof it again. Beta test it, accept feedback graciously and go back and edit it again until it is the best thing you ever wrote.
    Then throw it in the garbage. First books usually suck.
    Besides, the first 200,000 words you write are just practice.

Someone is going to want to read that. Not me maybe, but someone wants that book. So, like everyone above has said, just write the story first. All that other stuff is a worry for later on. But, you can do some research on it all in the meantime. I wish I had . . . I published without knowing much of anything.

As Ralph says, the first 200K words are practice. I'd like to add that it may take a few more thousand than that. I know it did for me!

@Ralph- Not sure why you quoted my post because I didn't suggest anything like "rush to get published." (?)

There's a learning curve involved but agents and editors do accept first novels all the time.

Best wishes, OP. I'm sure you realize that only a small percentage of submissions are accepted by the larger presses each year. But if you do a good enough job of it, your novel certainly does have a shot at it just like the rest of them.
    Last edited by Carly Berg; May 17th, 2018 at 06:03 AM.
    Story Prompts That Work https://www.amazon.com/Story-Prompts...mpts+that+work
    Writing Flash Fiction: How to Write Very Short Stories and Get Them Published http://www.amazon.com/Writing-Flash-...qid=1422776425

I don't know how it's done, but I have gotten hooked on some ebooks/ kindle books where I was able to read the 1st chaper or even 1/2 of the book & then purchase the book if I liked it.
    Those let the quality of the story pull people in
    I don't know if that would be an option for you...

Personally I write for my own enjoyment 1st, my friend & family 2nd, lastly I see if it's something that other people might want to read, but that's my own priorities.

I wish I knew how to market, especially on a budget of free.

Word of mouth is your best friend, if you have a good property.

Drive-by sniper of the feckless
    Test Patterns -- still available!
    Volume 2 -- Creature Features coming 2018!
    I cover the Chicago Cubs daily. Read all about it!

"From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast