Amazon reviews

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amazon reviews

Amazon reviews

I just posted this in a writing discussion and thought I should also post it here.

I just read yesterday that Amazon has been deleting reviews that have been determined to be by family, friends or have been bought.

Now there's some controversy about how Amazon is making the determination.

Facebook friends, even if they are actually just fans of your book(s) count as friends. Some believe Amazon is even checking Twitter activity.

All of this is a backlash after Amazon learned that one man made lots of sales after buying good book reviews.

Even Hillary Clinton had more than half the reviews of her book deleted because they weren't verified purchases.

There's some blogs/articles out there about the situation.

Basically, unless you buy it through amazon, no review for you on amazon.
    I find that my lack of knowledge can sometimes be an asset in that I'm forced to try new things because I don't have any other options.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewclunn View Post
    Basically, unless you buy it through amazon, no review for you on amazon.
    There's a bit more to it.

Even for verified (bought through Amazon) purchases, the review will be deleted if :

The reviewer is a facebook friend of the author.

The author gave anything to the reviewer at any time in the past that Amazon finds out about. (Amazon considers such payment for a good review.)

Rumor has it that Amazon is even checking Twitter to see if the author and reviewer are friends.

Steps suggested to bypass the Amazon deletions :

Have a public Facebook page for your books and don't friend any fans on your personal page.

Don't giveaway Amazon gift cards to fans.

You can give a copy of the book to be reviewed, but the reviewer should be upfront about it and say that the book was given in exchange for an honest review. (Currently those are not being deleted.)

Google "Amazon book reviews deleted" to learn more.

There's a lot of frenzy about this - I honestly don't know if we have the full story, yet.

One of the frustrating things about Amazon is how opaque their decision-making process is. People are coming up with loads of speculation and concerns, but I don't think we've seen a definitive statement from Amazon.

As somebody without a facebook or twitter, who reads on my kindle, I await my millions in paid reviews. No, no, please not all at once.
    I find that my lack of knowledge can sometimes be an asset in that I'm forced to try new things because I don't have any other options.

In my experience, sometimes they do get it wrong. You'll have legitimate reviews removed and you don't have any recourse. It's also possible that whatever tripped the Amazon triggers came from the reviewers' end, not yours. I can see why they don't divulge their methods though, because then people would know how to get around them. But it would be interesting to know for sure.
    Last edited by Carly Berg; May 14th, 2018 at 04:34 PM.
    Story Prompts That Work Hidden Content
    Writing Flash Fiction: How to Write Very Short Stories and Get Them Published Hidden Content

I started this thread because I have seen a couple members commenting on deleted reviews. I did not look up those threads and post there. Instead I simply shared what I learned in case it answers questions that others have.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewclunn View Post
    As somebody without a facebook or twitter, who reads on my kindle, I await my millions in paid reviews. No, no, please not all at once.
    Get in line!

I think the big issue here is that many people try to 'play' the Amazon reviews. For example, one of the people here on the forum complaining about this pointed out in another post that their genuine unbiased and honest reviews were gained through a paid-for review service. There are numerous blogs and podcasts about how to 'play' reviews to raise profiles. Too many writers do it and then go on to claim that a paid for and solicited review is genuine.

Forget writers; the readers who use reviews deserve clarity and Amazon is trying to give them that. Yes, some people might lose honest reviews but the issue has been created by writers trying to pull a fast one, not the retailers. Their actions might be heavy-handed but maybe if writers kicked off more about those cheating the system than Amazon, they might be treated more sympathetically.

Of course, you don't have to use Amazon.

It might not be a popular view but that's how I feel.

ETA: And there's this too, which I applaud!
    https://justpublishingadvice.com/ama...=ReviveOldPost
    Last edited by Pete_C; May 15th, 2018 at 01:03 PM.

In a nutshell. Well-said. Some things don't lend themselves well to review -- I was crestfallen to discover that my work falls in that category. Very few reviews, but positive. The work sells though. I would never, could never, pay a service for reviews. I also rarely send out review copies as 90% of those don't happen and I don't want to give out free stuff without a reason to.
    Otoh, I'd review my own anthologies if allowed. So...fuzzy line.
    Hidden Content
    "From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast