This will hurt me more than it hurts you...

Thread: This will hurt me more than it hurts you...

Lightbulb This will hurt me more than it hurts you...

Hi all,

Been wanting to discuss this for sometime, I have a four part series I am writing and my friends won't speak to me about this as they do not want spoilers.

Killing off main characters... I have a character who will be killed off in the third book of the series, this character has proven very popular with my test audiences and I myself have even tried rewriting parts of the story as I simply do not want them to die but it is for this reason I feel they have to.

The death is not done randomly as a means of moving the plot along but it is incredibly vital to the plot and a key event that shapes up the finale of the series, so I know it is the right thing to do.

My question is, have you ever had to kill off a character that you really didn't want to and if so, did you, like me, explore other avenues to keep them alive?

Sure. And I've had characters face what I like to call 'Reichenbach Falls syndrome', where people petitioned the lord with prayer and brickbats. I doubt GRRM spends much time agonizing (ok, I know he doesn't) but that's him.
    It's hard to make them stay dead.

Drive-by sniper of the feckless
    Test Patterns -- still available!
    Volume 2 -- Creature Features coming 2018!
    I cover the Chicago Cubs daily. Read all about it!

"From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

What made it difficult to kill the character(s) and how did you make the decision it was the only way forward?

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy Baird View Post
    What made it difficult to kill the character(s) and how did you make the decision it was the only way forward?
    They were part of my rotating repertory company, a stock of people/characters that figure in a number of narratives. In order for the narrative to evolve, they had to exit, or the tales would have become about them, and they are/were not strong enough to carry a piece. Also, one of them was a rock. An animated rock, a piece of shale. He learned how to move, bit by bit, and plunged into a lake of methane, into which he dissolved and became part of the consciousness of the planetoid.

"From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by moderan View Post
    It's hard to make them stay dead.
    I never have a problem with it, if they need to die, they need to die and they don't get a say. Although I did kill a character once and then wrote a trilogy of stories about his past history because he made the perfect focus character to tell the backstory. But he was still dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    I never have a problem with it, if they need to die, they need to die and they don't get a say. Although I did kill a character once and then wrote a trilogy of stories about his past history because he made the perfect focus character to tell the backstory. But he was still dead.
    You do know what Reichenbach Falls refers to, yes? Because that comment is specific to that scenario.

Teddy, have you ever seen Game of Thrones...?

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    Teddy, have you ever seen Game of Thrones...?
    I actually have not, never gotten into it despite many telling me I would enjoy it

If you wanna know how to kill off important characters, then watch GoT. No one is safe in that story, and don't even get me started about the weddings...
    But it has some great characters.