Writing a story that feels like depression - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Writing a story that feels like depression

You simply have to make the character act. It's the same problem that faces writers who have introverted protagonists. OK... you unsettle them enough or throw enough stuff at them that they simply cannot do anything other than act. That's interesting.

A story that feels like depression would be ... well ... depressing.

I doubt readers will flock to read something that makes them feel depressed, so be sure to balance it with other stuff.

I'd be much more likely to make this a short story than a novel. To me, shorter seems better for experimental concepts. A lot less time invested if it doesn't work out, too!
    Story Prompts That Work https://www.amazon.com/Story-Prompts...mpts+that+work
    Writing Flash Fiction: How to Write Very Short Stories and Get Them Published http://www.amazon.com/Writing-Flash-...qid=1422776425

13 Reasons Why is also a story about a girl falling into depression and actual suicide. It's one of my all-time favorite books.

The point is, you will have to step outside the box. The advice here at WF is actually consistent -- if you write a typical novel in the typical way with a depressed main character, it will not work. 13 Reasons Why will probably be no help in how you write your story, it's just a good example of being outside the box.

Mod: Have you figured out how you are gonna tell the story? I was thinking this one over and if it were me, I'd write it so that the story is that your hero did something great & heroic, and now some kids are making a video of his life before the event (he does not survive the event) and in the process they uncover evidence of his depression through video clips, journals, pics from family members. So you draw people in with the whole hero angle, then tell the an entirely different story of a hero that was done with living.

Just my dos centavos.

I'd write the whole thing like Big Bad John, except that Big John is suffering from clinical depression when he saves the other miners.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    Mod: Have you figured out how you are gonna tell the story? I was thinking this one over and if it were me, I'd write it so that the story is that your hero did something great & heroic, and now some kids are making a video of his life before the event (he does not survive the event) and in the process they uncover evidence of his depression through video clips, journals, pics from family members. So you draw people in with the whole hero angle, then tell the an entirely different story of a hero that was done with living.

Just my dos centavos.
    Which story? I'm lost here.

Drive-by sniper of the feckless
    Test Patterns -- still available!
    Volume 2 -- Creature Features coming 2018!
    I cover the Chicago Cubs daily. Read all about it!

"From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by moderan View Post
    Which story? I'm lost here.

Ooops. Tis Adrian who is writing the book about clinical depression.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    Mod: Have you figured out how you are gonna tell the story?
    I decided to take the most obvious way out, and write an autobiographical novella, about how I personally dealt with it. Thinking back, I did have some interesting things going on back then. I actually amazed myself by how dark one's thoughts can become once we start dwelling on them while sitting in a locked room day in and day out.

My inspiration on style will be Notes from the Underground by Dostoevsky, as I Think that book also had sort of the feeling I'm going for.
    Follow me on http://amazon.com/author/adrianbraysy and check out my novels.

Send a copy to the reviewer at NPR when you publish.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12