My NaPoWriMo Experience.... - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My NaPoWriMo Experience....

Midnight, thanks
    As for the cheerleading. Normally I don't like that either. I came from a site that did nothing but cheerleading before I joined WF. But this month was for encouragement.... BUT despite that, there was a huge part where fabulous critique was given, honestly. On the other hand, there was so much poetry to read, that saying more that 'good job' was absolutely impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightpoet View Post
    I apologize for being so cranky and irritable last month, looking back it wasn't the poetry that bothered me but the cheerleading. So many posts of "good job" "wow" and such made me think of cheerleaders on the sidelines waving pom-poms jumping up and down and it turned me off. It just...did. To me it sounded fake, hollow. Anyway the poems, for the most part were good for first drafts, and I realized I was looking at the negative instead of the positive. Have a habit of that, unfortunately.
    I suppose most of us do that sometimes. I reckon NaPo doesn't leave sufficient time for most people to leave in-depth feedback. Perhaps a NaPo week would be more appropriate than a month, but it seems to have become a tradition.

It's not something WF invented
    It truly is national. All poetry forums, sites, and other poetry resources organize the event.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Istine View Post
    I struggled badly with it this year. It didn't help that I was doing extra work from 5 am to 7am - a time when I often write - and the fatigue overwhelmed me often. I gave notice on that job and my last day was the 30th April.

I hope all goes well in your search for a new job... given what you were going through, it is even more impressive that you completed the challenge... *HUGS*

At one point I settled for doing 15, but found a second wind from somewhere. Also, it was quite painful putting a few snapshots of my childhood out there, and those were only a taster. It may not have been apparent from the wording, but writing about them pulled me through places that I pushed down long ago.

Because it is sorta understood that we are writing quickly, capturing the essence of emotion, mood and message... it gives me a feeling of freedom .. less time to agonize over each word... less time to worry how others will receive my message, and react to it...

Over all it was fun though, but I didn't have enough left to be cheerleader for other participants. I felt a bit bad about that for a while but sometimes that's just how it is.
    She lost herself in the trees,
    among the ever-changing leaves.
    She wept beneath the wild sky
    as stars told stories of ancient times.
    The flowers grew toward her light,
    the river called her name at night.
    She could not live an ordinary life,
    with the mysteries of the universe
    hidden in her eyes....
    Author: Christy Ann Martine

Death leaves a heartache no one can heal,
    love leaves a memory no one can steal....
    Author unknown.

I learned that when pushed for inspiration my fall backs are lazy puns, misanthropy, misogyny, self serving naval gazing, and arrogance. Good to know that these topics flow so easily for me.
    You can never hate something so thoroughly as that which destroys what you love, and who is more guilty of this crime than the stranger who was once a lover?

Quote Originally Posted by andrewclunn View Post
    I learned that when pushed for inspiration my fall backs are lazy puns, misanthropy, misogyny, self serving naval gazing, and arrogance. Good to know that these topics flow so easily for me.
    LOL, I think you're the funniest misanthrope ever!

Blog Entries
    This was difficult; at times I feel like I cheated myself, but I used every opportunity I had to write to the best of my ability.

I feel like I developed this month.

I read poems that inspired me and I gained respect for a lot of other people.
    My favorite word in the English language is "shenanigans." My favorite thing to do is cause them.

Smoke weed everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by RhythmOvPain View Post
    This was difficult; at times I feel like I cheated myself, but I used every opportunity I had to write to the best of my ability.

I feel like I developed this month.

I read poems that inspired me and I gained respect for a lot of other people.
    I think you did an awesome job and you wrote some good stuff... so do me a favor, and STOP calling your poetry "SHIT"... ...please...ok?
    She lost herself in the trees,
    among the ever-changing leaves.
    She wept beneath the wild sky
    as stars told stories of ancient times.
    The flowers grew toward her light,
    the river called her name at night.
    She could not live an ordinary life,
    with the mysteries of the universe
    hidden in her eyes....
    Author: Christy Ann Martine

Death leaves a heartache no one can heal,
    love leaves a memory no one can steal....
    Author unknown.

I sure am reluctant to jump into this fire (not you Fire!)

The difference here, in WF, is that poems were workshopped, not just one written by each participant for 30 days, as poetry month means. Yes, it is poetry month where poets are encouraged to write one daily, but it is not poetry workshop month. That for me was tiresome. Yep, lots of cheerleading ensued to inflate those making a tremendous effort to carry on, it seemed to me. I rarely commented because, personally, I felt it wrong to point out anything that might be improved when something is hastily written. I confess, I dislike when someone posts in regular workshop whatever came into their head everyday, without fine tuning it themselves first. Throwing mud on the wall to see what sticks, ain’t for me. I know who they are and no longer comment on their posts. I feel it is enough that poets post a poem each day in April. No workshop comments. I know the “come back” will be “but I learned so much!” Well, post them in the designated workshop thread after. There’s plenty of room there.

Quote Originally Posted by sas View Post
    I rarely commented because, personally, I felt it wrong to point out anything that might be improved when something is hastily written. I confess, I dislike when someone posts in regular workshop whatever came into their head everyday, without fine tuning it themselves first. Throwing mud on the wall to see what sticks, ain’t for me. I know who they are and no longer comment on their posts. I feel it is enough that poets post a poem each day in April. No workshop comments. I know the “come back” will be “but I learned so much!” Well, post them in the designated workshop thread after. There’s plenty of room there.
    No, the comeback is, Sas: NaPo poets have their own workshop which states
    Writing Forum: NaPoWriMo Workshop

For NaPoWriMo poetry threads not intended for public viewing and to protect first publication rights.

They are well within their rights to post to this area so they can workshop NaPo poems in the poetry workshop later. I have already started to do so...as I believe has Pulse.

If throwing mud at the wall to see what sticks ain't for you, that is fine, please don't read work in the Napo forum. And if you don't want to comment on future work of the 23 poets who participated, that is equally fine. I respected your critique but I won't be looking for any comments from you on my work in the future.

I for one, never threw mud against the wall; I worked damned hard on my poetry, even the fun stuff.
    Last edited by PiP; May 3rd, 2018 at 08:00 AM.
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast