Alternatives - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alternatives

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    It' not just the choices your character makes that defines them, but also the way that they reason and come to that choice.
    Was your character's first thought to save themselves, do they show bias in their decision making process, do they show favorites?
    Very true, I am not providing a definitive guide, just highlighling one aspect, it's a start How about telling us how you came to sit down with UnderdOg and got off your face as you finished off his stash?
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

He’s my team mate, my back, he’s my comrad in arms
    he’s putting us all in danger, right? I’m in a tough spot.
    What if he has other drugs, more than pot...and how
    well do I really know this guy? I mean, maybe he reacts
    better on weed, many people do...maybe he just uses
    after patrol, to unwind. Lots of people have a few beers.
    Maybe if he didn’t smoke we would be in more danger.

What if he’s doing coke or something stronger...I wonder,
    is this common? Do other guys have a stash too?
    Why hasn’t something shown up on the urine test?

I can’t turn him in to the CO. What the hell man....
    If I take ‘em, he’ll be upset...I’d tell he’s endangering
    everyone by being high...what’s he capable of, will
    he retaliate?...I’ll watch him, see how he reacts on
    patrol...Hmm.

The plan is to let the team decide, it’s their lives on the
    line. Team pressure, team support...

New Scenario: It’s three am. The streets are snowy
    and slippery. You’re driving home after a fun night with
    friends. You were the designated driver, no booze for you...
    In a residential area, the road declines and you slide into a
    car parked on the street. The rear quarter panel is nicely
    smashed...no one saw it, no one heard it...do you leave a
    note or drive away?

‘Coffee, Tea and Other Beverages’
    Poems about the drinks that take us through our day
    available on Amazon
    Hidden Content

I put on the parking break and swing the door open. I walk around to inspect the cars. After a thorough assessment I conclude that the damage isn't too extensive. The car will still run. I take time to turn around and take in the full 360 degree view of my surroundings. There's not a soul in sight save for the 4 blissfully unaware drunkards making a ruckus in my car. I'd hate for them to pass out before they made it back home. Especially Theo. The elevators in his apartment are broken. No Way I'm carrying that guy up four flights of stairs. I really don't want any of them vomiting in my car. So I get back in the driver's seat, slam the door shut and drive away.

New scene:
    You are in the car with your best friend in the passenger seat. Your significant others are asleep in the back seat. You are on a long desert road and the sun is getting low. You arrive at a fork in the road. There are no signs and you don't have a map. You look in the distance. Down one path you see what looks like a mountain. Down the other path you believe you see a forest.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanLyle View Post

New scene:
    You are in the car with your best friend in the passenger seat. Your significant others are asleep in the back seat. You are on a long desert road and the sun is getting low. You arrive at a fork in the road. There are no signs and you don't have a map. You look in the distance. Down one path you see what looks like a mountain. Down the other path you believe you see a forest.

Whenever there's a fork in the road, I always take it. Looking at my choices, I glance at my friend. He looks to the back seats and shrugs and raises his hands palms up indicating it's my choice. I think about the two possibilities; the mountains could be impassable. If we were to break down we would be unlikely to find help. The cold could take our lives in a matter of hours while the forest would likely have towns and businesses. There would be houses, or at least cabins that we could seek help or refuge. If we had to walk, the roads would be level and the trees and foliage would shield us from the wind and cold. Much less of a risk and our significant others would respect our making that choice... mountains it is... my buddy Theo smiles.

Next choice/dilemma: You're working in your laboratory and figure out how to cure old age. Do you let the secret out?
    If you look at my profile, say "Hi!" But not in a creepy way.

Next choice/dilemma: You're working in your laboratory and figure out how to cure old age. Do you let the secret out?

I looked down on the mice, eight years old and sprightly as ever, she had just had her four hundredth littler of babies. Mice were no problem, I could always supply laboratories with them, humans? That might be different! I thought about the over populated world I lived in, and my old professor who had initiated this research ten years ago. It seemed such a waste when he had died, years of experiment, experience and learning just snuffed out. Of course He had written stuff down, but then there was a new lifetime to be spent reading it, only to be snuffed out in its turn as it reached an apogee of understanding. Would people who had lived a long life want to go on reproducing like mice? What would authority's reaction be? How would it be if I had to share my world with men from the past, those who still burned heretics for example, would they hold on to power? They would if they could for sure, and one way for them to succeed would be to have this knowledge and keep it to themselves, I could destroy everything and it would be gone. On the other hand I was not the only person interested in this field, men had been trying to solve this mystery since they thought of the phoenix and the philosophers stone, probably since they could think. Sooner or later someone would replicate what I had done, once the principle was established it was a logical progression, knowledge can not be contained. On the other hand there were those who would try, and they would not be gentle or humane about it, anyway, what was the point of doing research if you did not publish the results, and I am not God to play at controlling the future.

I sat down at the computer, after half an hour the paper had been sent to every interested party I could think of from scientists to red top newspapers, the cat was well and truly out of the bag. Barring accidents and the wrath of the powerful it would not just be my name that would live for ever.

Next, You keep smelling cannabis and when you mention it to your neighbour they fess up that they have terminal cancer and are growing it in their garage as a possible cure. Do you turn them in, or do you offer them the use of your garage as well?
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12