Fan base before marketing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fan base before marketing?

I'm not ready for marketing my book yet. My book is almost finished, but I was wondering, how do I start a follower base for my book?

I am an unknown author, and I do plan on publishing on Amazon and I know its basically a horse race to get my book "in front" everyone. I want to do this the smart way, and get a following base (The earlier, the better imo). But how do I go about doing this? Do I just start a random blog for months (or years) and be like "Oh btw, I have a book I published, check it out" blah blah blah.

I understand that a follower base takes time, which is why I'm not publishing for at least another year (especially since the book isn't finished yet).

My question is what are some other ways to start a fan base? Or what have you done personally, that turned your book into a success?

If there's anything harder than getting attention for an author with a brand new book, it's getting attention for an author WITHOUT a brand new book.

If you enjoy blogging and are the sort of writer who will effortlessly entertain and draw a following, then, great, blog away. But think about how many other authors are out there trying the same thing. The competition for eyes on blogs is probably at least as intense as the competition for eyes on novels.

Honestly, what's worked best for me in terms of getting readers has been working with publishers. If you've absolutely decided against that approach, I'd say you could benefit from building relationships with reviewers and bloggers so that when your book is ready they'll review it and/or let you borrow their spaces, their audiences, to talk about your book. A lot of bloggers are hungry for guest content, so that shouldn't be too hard for you to arrange. Reviewers can be trickier, since they have to do a fair bit of work to produce their reviews and they may not want to do that for a random stranger, but if you've established a pattern of posting responses to their reviews they'll be more likely to cooperate. Even something as simple as "This book sounds fantastic - I'm going to check it out. Thanks for reviewing it." can get your name into their heads.

Obviously you'll want to pick reviewers and bloggers whose audience is similar to the audience your book will appeal to.

Why spend a lot of time and effort building your own followers when you can just borrow someone else's?
    Last edited by Bayview; April 12th, 2018 at 02:16 AM.

How do you attract attention to a book you have not yet written?
    answer; put it on presale and point your marketing at that.

The downside is that if you miss your deadline, Amazon will block you from using the presale feature for a year.

Also
    Create a twitter account
    Join every online public forum that even distantly relates to your book's content or demographic...and shamelessly self promote yourself.
    Get a facebook account (and keep it professional--no politics)
    Send press releases to local papers, inquire about submitting for reviews.
    just a few things...

I emphasize the shameless part. Marketing is not for the meek.

Thank you guys so much for the responses. I'll get a start on twitter. I do have a fb account already set up with my pen name, Scarlet M. Sinclaire. I'll need to go back into it and start joining it.

Time do join a bunch of zodiac/horoscope related groups!

Not just topic related forums, but demographic related. If your book is horoscopes then go to places populated by hippies and fortune tellers (just kidding.) You know your reader, where do the kinda people who read your kind of book hang out online?

Community involvement. If you operate in a niche or identifiable genre, you can get the fans interested by getting them into the process. For example, we're running an art contest for the second Test Patterns anthology. We're also crowdfunding, with the book as a reward for contributions above a certain dollar amount, and doing interviews, etc., in tandem with our 'name' authors, on blogs and podcasts.
    Last edited by moderan; April 27th, 2018 at 06:24 PM.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content -- still available!
    Volume 2 -- Creature Features coming 2018!
    Caravans Awry Hidden Content -- coming Hallowe'en 2018
    I cover the Hidden Content daily. Read all about it!

Hidden Content
    "From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by moderan View Post
    Community involvement. If you operate in a niche or identifiable genre, you can get the fans interested by getting them into the process. For example, we're running an art contest for the second Test patterns anthology. We're also crowdfunding, with the book as a reward for contributions above a certain dollar amount, and doing interviews, etc., in tandem with our 'name' authors, on blogs and podcasts.
    Wow, this is actually a great idea. Unique too, as I've never heard of something like this being done. Hold contests, use the book as a reward. That's actually really great. I hope everything went well with that btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    Not just topic related forums, but demographic related. If your book is horoscopes then go to places populated by hippies and fortune tellers (just kidding.) You know your reader, where do the kinda people who read your kind of book hang out online?

This made me laugh. But mostly it would be facebook or twitter. I've already started the process with a facebook account using my pen name , Scarlet M. Sinclaire. Taking things slowly as I finish writing my book (almost done btw, HOORAH!). So once I do the full edits, I'll start the marketing process.

Quote Originally Posted by ScarletM.Sinclaire View Post
    This made me laugh. But mostly it would be facebook or twitter. I've already started the process with a facebook account using my pen name , Scarlet M. Sinclaire. Taking things slowly as I finish writing my book (almost done btw, HOORAH!). So once I do the full edits, I'll start the marketing process.

Facebook n twitter are just the opening salvos. Online there are thousands of forums just like this one...except for different topics. There are discussion forums for guns and camping and writing and model building and anything that humans can find an interest in. Go to these places, become a member in good standing (as opposed to the slackers who sign up, post one shameless self-promotion, then never come back), and sell your book. Figure out what kind of hobbies or interests your readers would have, and go out and sell in these forums. It is slow work, but it helps in many ways (remember that google spiders everything that gets posted online so eventually it will build you a web presence.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast