An Exercise in Epigrams

Thread: An Exercise in Epigrams

An Exercise in Epigrams

I was challenged to write 3 poems in the style of an epigram, so here they are.
    Mostly I'm interested in how a reader experiences these poems and advice on tone and form are always helpful!
    Brevity really isn't my strong suit, so this is a challenge in that respect.
    Feel free to comment on all three poems, just one, or none at all. Whatever takes your fancy ;)

7 billion other people on the planet
    h
    e said
    Yeah well fuck those guys
    I said

Unsure
    The world is full of sorrow--
    The sky is full of stars--

Iím not yet sure what this means.

A Week
    If it took six days to make the earth
    And another one to rest,
    Surely the architect must be impressed
    When we destroy it in less

ep∑i∑gram

[ˈepəˌɡram]

NOUN

• a pithy saying or remark expressing an idea in a clever and amusing way.

Mayko;
      I had to look this up and this is interesting as a form of poetry. I love "Unsure". "A Week" is an excellent philosophical statement and "7.6" did bring a chuckle. I'd say you nailed it, so well done.

"Illegitimi non carborundum " Vinegar' Joe Stilwell

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." Martin Luther King Jr.

What you learn in life is important, those you help learn, are more important.

"They can because they think they can."
    ​Virgil

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools will speak to say something." Plato

"The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible."
    ​ Mark Twain

"To those of you who received honors, awards and distinctions, I say well done. And to the C students, I say you, too, can be president of the United States." George W. Bush

I think you have made a great job of these, mayko and I love your dry sense of humour. My favourite is Unsure. I enjoyed the way the reader is pulled in to wonder about the meaning and then WHAM the final line knocks everything down again. It makes it funny and brilliant all at the same time.

Thanks! I was pleasantly surprised by your response,as Unsure was the one I was (fittingly) the least sure of XD

Hey, thanks for your lovely comments!
    If you're interested in the form (and haven't already found it), Stephen Crane's A Man Said to the Universe is one of my favorite epigrams, and of course anything by Oscar Wilde is brilliant.