Latin tags.

Thread: Latin tags.

Latin tags.

I come across them every so often, often enough I am starting to recognise words. Thought a collection might be good.

Modus operandi. The way they have of doing things, ‘mode of operation’.

Veni vidi vici. I came, I saw, I conquered, not as the Ancient Brits thought ‘Weeny, weedy, and weaky’. (1066 and all that).

A priori. Reasoning that goes from cause to effect.

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori. It is sweet and fitting to die for one’s country, good poem, rubbish sentiment. The soldier’s job is not to die for his country, but to kill for it.

Carpe diem. Seize the day, live for tody and not tomorrow.

What have you got?
    Hidden Content

A whole swathe of entertainment, all sorts of lengths, all sorts of stories, all with that 'Olly' twist.

Banned
    Carpe Noctem (seize the night)

ante meridian, before noon.
    post meridian, afternoon.
    Hidden Content

A whole swathe of entertainment, all sorts of lengths, all sorts of stories, all with that 'Olly' twist.

obiter dictum
    A remark made in passing

Habeus corpus
    You shall have the body

The first refers to a remrk made by a judge, but not directly connected to the case; the second to a writ served requiring an imprisoned criminal to be brought before the court. Can you guess whay I was reading about?
    Hidden Content

Ad hoc. One that I had misunderstood, from reading I thought it meant something improvised. Almoast, It means something set up for a specific purpose and then discarded once it has been achieved, so 'an ad hoc committee to osganise the show this year', for example. Literally, 'towards this'
    Hidden Content

Sic transit gloria mundi - Gloria was sick in the van on Monday...
    A man in possession of a wooden spoon must be in want of a pot to stir.

"Sic transit gloria mundi", actually 'So goes the glory of the world.' in case anyone wonders.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    "Sic transit gloria mundi", actually 'So goes the glory of the world.' in case anyone wonders.
    Why would anyone wander, surely we all know where we're going...
    A man in possession of a wooden spoon must be in want of a pot to stir.

From a post by Just Rob:-

'Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero.' (Horace) 'Pluck the day, trusting as little as possible in the future.'
    Hidden Content