Good article explaining poor book sales

Thread: Good article explaining poor book sales

Good article explaining poor book sales

Here’s a good article that may explain your disappointing book sales...
    proud author of:
    1) Engaging College Students: A Fun and Edgy Guide for Professors
    2) 14 Steps to Self-Publishing a Book

Marketing is 100% of poor sales for me. I suck at it and am always trying to learn.

It's here! Test Patterns.
    I blog Chicago Cubs news three days a week.

"From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

I suck at it too, but am trying to get it together this year. Will be putting together an actual budget for it this month. Won't be much, but it'll be a start. I don't have a list, although I had a small one at one point of about fifty names by running a contest from my website. People could win one of the romances each month. Ran it for about a year or so. Had some people resign up to try winning both books. But--I lost the list when I changed hosts. Thought I'd backed it up, but--if I did, I don't remember how or where I did. So sad!

Of those 15 reasons, the first three are true for me. I do my own editing, and have cut hundreds of pages of prose from my first romance to get it to where it is now. Book was 1250 pages originally. Now down to around 500 using the 5.5x5.8 template. I also do my own covers. They may not be spectacular, but they aren't as stinky as when I first started doing it. I have been invited to enter them into a monthly contest by Farrah Evers, the cover designer who gave me feedback on them. So, I must be a step closer to spectacular. LOL! I haven't entered yet. Still tweaking.

The one thing I have spent money on, besides books and courses, was on one of their book templates - Fling for romances. I'd like to spring for another at some point when they run another sale, but for now, I just modify the one I got for everything I'm doing now. Easy to do. Just delete the chapter image and there ya go. Made my life so much easier as it's not just sized but styled as well. Not happy with the style, just modify and keep going. Loving it!

Having said all this, I think I should stop spending on books and courses and try to find people to edit and make covers, so I can just write . . . and learn to market.

Yes, marketing is the hardest part of being an author. Right now, my biggest struggle seems to be getting reviews. I rec'd a fair amount of reviews last year, but this year they barely trickle in every few months (if I'm lucky). I need to work on that. As far as sales, I've had good luck using AMS ads for both of my nonfiction books. So you might consider that.
    proud author of:
    1) Engaging College Students: A Fun and Edgy Guide for Professors
    2) 14 Steps to Self-Publishing a Book