Handy editing trick

Handy editing trick

Here is a neat little editing trick I discovered on accident a few books ago.

Format your book for standard 5x8" paperback format
    But on CreateSpace select the option for a 6x9" print format
    What you get is a book with huge margins that are really great for writing editing notes. No more scrunching up your notes into tiny margins, you can actually write a whole scene into these margins.
    After editing, correct the format on CreateSpace.

This step is actually handy for all writers, even if you publish via the conventional route. See, CreateSpace prints your book far cheaper than Kinkos. If you try to print a manuscript at home, then it'll cost you an ink cartridge & a ream of paper. CreateSpace will print a proof copy for about $6 (versus $30 for the other options I mentioned.)
    Personally, I prefer a print copy when I am trying to get a feel for the book.

The only problem I see, for me, is that I like to format my MS in standard MS format which causes me to end up with about 2X the number of pages. I like the space between the lines for proof-reader's marks and notes as well as in the margins.
    “Fools” said I, “You do not know
    Silence like a cancer grows
    Hear my words that I might teach you
    Take my arms that I might reach you”
    But my words like silent raindrops fell
    And echoed in the wells of silence : Simon & Garfunkel

Those who enjoy stirring the chamber-pot should be required to lick the spoon.

Our job as writers is to make readers dream, to infiltrate their minds with our words and create a new reality; a reality not theirs, and not ours, but a new, unique combination of both.

Visit Amazon and the Kindle Store to check out Reflections in a Black Mirror, and Chase

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    The only problem I see, for me, is that I like to format my MS in standard MS format which causes me to end up with about 2X the number of pages. I like the space between the lines for proof-reader's marks and notes as well as in the margins.

You can still do that. Just don't click on the publish button, and you can order proof copies (that'll still be cheaper than Kinkos.)
    Personally, when it comes to proofing a book and really getting a feel for the story, I find a printed copy preferable. Seems like I spot soooo many more errors in print than I do in digital format.

When I order proof copies for my beta readers I even add a small questionnaire on the last couple of pages. That way the beta testers can answer honestly (without me there to influence them.) Once I actually publish the book I replace the questionnaire with a prompt for them to review the book on Amazon (or wherever they bought the book.) In Ebooks I provide a link to review the book online.