How do you write a long sentence that is acceptable? - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    That would probably work very well for non-fiction writing, but would make for terrible fiction construction. Most folks here default to fiction in discussion, but the OP's question didn't specify, so thanks for the link.

Long sentences are fine. They help to vary the pace of a story. They should not be avoided, nor should every sentence we write be long. Not all thoughts are long. The key to writing effective sentences, of any length, is using proper punctuation and careful word choice. Make your sentences clear and avoid rambling. A good sentence will deliver its message without the reader even thinking about its length. If your reader notices how long a sentence is, you've done a poor job.
    Pardon the delayed response -
    this is untrue ! All of the examples in that book are from fiction writing, including writers like King, Hemmingway, Wolfe, etc. There is not a single non-fiction example. Personally I found it immensely useful, and it has also changed the way I read a novel - by noticing how writers use forementioned techniques to control pace and story.

The book is about techniques on how to construct sentences, long and short, using participial phrases, appositives, parallel joints, taking into account things such as the sound/rhythm of words .It's definitely a very good read for fiction writers

Quote Originally Posted by evak2979 View Post
    Pardon the delayed response -
    this is untrue ! All of the examples in that book are from fiction writing, including writers like King, Hemmingway, Wolfe, etc. There is not a single non-fiction example. Personally I found it immensely useful, and it has also changed the way I read a novel - by noticing how writers use forementioned techniques to control pace and story.

The book is about techniques on how to construct sentences, long and short, using participial phrases, appositives, parallel joints, taking into account things such as the sound/rhythm of words .It's definitely a very good read for fiction writers
    Point taken. Although, to be honest, all I had to go by was the book description in the link which never once mentions fiction writing, but mentions writing for high school and college a number of times. There is a dramatic difference between academic writing and fiction writing, the blurb should have been more specific. Thanks, however, for the information.
    “Fools” said I, “You do not know
    Silence like a cancer grows
    Hear my words that I might teach you
    Take my arms that I might reach you”
    But my words like silent raindrops fell
    And echoed in the wells of silence : Simon & Garfunkel

Those who enjoy stirring the chamber-pot should be required to lick the spoon.

Our job as writers is to make readers dream, to infiltrate their minds with our words and create a new reality; a reality not theirs, and not ours, but a new, unique combination of both.

Visit Amazon and the Kindle Store to check out Reflections in a Black Mirror, and Chase

https://www.amazon.com/author/terrydurbin

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456