Is it Nicked or Knicked? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is it Nicked or Knicked?

Quote Originally Posted by Bloggsworth View Post
    Knicked for stolen, nicked for cut in a small way; or, nicked for stolen, nicked for cut in a small way if you are a colonial...
    There is no such word as 'knicked' in the dictionary.

It's both 'nicked' for having stolen something, and 'nicked' for having made an indentation in something.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got into my pyjamas I'll never know." ~ Groucho Marx.

"It is better to be feared than loved, if one cannot be both". ~ Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer". ~ Bruce Lee.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few". ~ Shunryu Suzuki.

"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face". ~ Oscar Wilde.

"He who learns but does not think is lost; he who thinks but does not learn is in great danger". ~ Confucius.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenization View Post
    No-one should be above being corrected when in the wrong and two wrongs never ever make a right. No is one wrong a justification for certain behaviours especially by someone who is supposed to be a leader.
    Your honor, this is predicated on the mistaken assumption that you are correct and everyone else is wrong. Sorry PIP.
    Hidden Content
    "From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    There is no such word as 'knicked' in the dictionary.

It's both 'nicked' for having stolen something, and 'nicked' for having made an indentation in something.
    Agreed. I have never ever seen it spelled 'knicked' in reference to either.
    Hidden Content
    "From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    There's an app for that. It's called Google. Just type, 'nicked' into the search bar and you would already have your answer. BTW, it's nicked.
    Came he from google for this question. What a lovely way to introduce new users to the forum for what I assume is a common question. I always spell it knicked.

"No results found for knicked"

https://www.dictionary.com/misspelling?term=knicked

G.D.
    Leave it be and it won't bother you.
    Screw with it, and it'll eat you alive.

Soon enough, nations will play second fiddle to corporations.

"The world is not what we wish it to be; it is what it is."
    "Freedom is the value, not protection."

The K at the beginning of a word was a feature of Old English. It was sounded then, but became silent during the fifteenth century, although the spelling remained, so one approach would be to look at how old the origins of the word are. If it is not from Old English then the variants with an added k are presumably a fanciful addition, if it is then they may well represent the original and the absence of the k be a modern variant. It does not really matter though, it is clear that both, or either, are used at times, which usage gives both validity.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

So you're saying people are just getting their knickers in a knot for nothing, Olly?

G.D.
    Leave it be and it won't bother you.
    Screw with it, and it'll eat you alive.

Soon enough, nations will play second fiddle to corporations.

"The world is not what we wish it to be; it is what it is."
    "Freedom is the value, not protection."

What I am really saying is that it is usage that gives a spelling or meaning validity, and as both seem to be in common usage, depending on the dictionary you pick …

It reminds me of my youth, when people used 'nice' in the sense of being pleasant or agreeable they would be picked up and told that it meant 'precise', as in a 'nice argument'. You never hear either nice or argument used in that sense anymore, or I don't. It is a pointless exercise trying to put the clock back, language is full of change and development, writing has slowed it down a bit, but it is still inevitable.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123