Is it Nicked or Knicked? - Page 2

Read our latest author interview on Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it Nicked or Knicked?

Again, the tone of this thread is not doing the image of this forum any good. I would say that the people in the wrong here need to grow a little and apologise.

FYI: I have reported this thread.
    Write what is good, not what is popular or approved by the times you live in. - Xenization

Quote Originally Posted by ScarletM.Sinclaire View Post
    I don't have to use google if I don't want to. If you don't like the fact that I took to asking a writing forum instead of doing a google search, that's your problem not mine. You do not have to be rude, I did nothing to you. I said nothing wrong. I did not deserve a rude and sarcastic comment. if you wanted to comment like that, you could have kept it to yourself. A simple "nicked" would have sufficed. This IS after all the GRAMMAR, PUNCTUATION FORUM. These questions are to be posted here, as I've seen done numerous times by other users.

If I wanted to go to google, I would have googled it.
    who said anything about liking or not liking? Not me. And I don't insist on anything. As far as sarcastic, I was just playing. That's what people do: they play a little. Certainly , I did not insult you, did I ? Anyway, I guess my answer was no good. I'll try to do better next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    I usually agree with you, but this time I would have put it the other way around, possibly because knicked with a knife. Anyway, I want to Google, and I don't find a definitive answer there, well, I do, but I find both definitive answers there, depending which dictionary you choose. Take your choice.
    I always though of nicked, or knicked as a reference to something being stolen as a British thing. I've not heard it used much in that manner on this side of the pond.
    “Fools” said I, “You do not know
    Silence like a cancer grows
    Hear my words that I might teach you
    Take my arms that I might reach you”
    But my words like silent raindrops fell
    And echoed in the wells of silence : Simon & Garfunkel

Those who enjoy stirring the chamber-pot should be required to lick the spoon.

Our job as writers is to make readers dream, to infiltrate their minds with our words and create a new reality; a reality not theirs, and not ours, but a new, unique combination of both.

Visit Amazon and the Kindle Store to check out Reflections in a Black Mirror, and Chase

Hidden Content

Goddamn, I demand to be offended!

I can't add anything useful as it seems the original query was petulantly removed.

Was it anything to do with knickers?

Dammit, it always comes down to Brits snickering at us, having us show our knickers , fannys. Knickers are short pants from the 30's and fanny is a rear end. Haha ha you guys, let's all laugh at the silly colonials. Yah well.. Well if it wasn't for us there'd be no tang, no spam! No plastic squeeze bottle ketchup and mustard.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete_C View Post
    Goddamn, I demand to be offended!

I can't add anything useful as it seems the original query was petulantly removed.

Was it anything to do with knickers?
    NO, nor knobs or knockers you weird person.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    I always though of nicked, or knicked as a reference to something being stolen as a British thing. I've not heard it used much in that manner on this side of the pond.
    I use it habitually...but then my stream of consciousness is polluted.
    Again, the tone of this thread is not doing the image of this forum any good. I would say that the people in the wrong here need to grow a little and apologise.
    Wah. Apparently it's okay to just ask nonsensical questions or have other people do your legwork because you can't wait or are just not good at thinking. And it's fine to tell others how to behave...feh.
    FYI: I have reported this thread.
    Waddaya gonna do now that you've been reported to you, Terry? Imma report you too
    Hey, you higher-ups *raises hand* Terry's being honest again...
    Hidden Content
    "From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

I've always thought knicked was the universal term. I've never seen someone spell it nicked
    You know, if you think about it, there are 7-8 billion people in the world. Think of the odds. The fact that we're all here with each other kinda makes you believe in that whole destiny thing.

Heard it first on Jonesy's jukebox. Often I need subtitles but that word I did finally get: to steal.

No-one should be above being corrected when in the wrong and two wrongs never ever make a right. No is one wrong a justification for certain behaviours especially by someone who is supposed to be a leader.
    Write what is good, not what is popular or approved by the times you live in. - Xenization

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast