The Elephant in the Room - Page 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Elephant in the Room

No, I don't think that has any bearing on the cost, phil.
    There is no life I know
    To compare with pure imagination.
    Living there you’ll be free
    If you truly wish to be.~ Willy Wonka

Blog Entries
    Prateon, seems like a good idea to me as well. My other half has been looking into launching his own to sell his artwork an I have also thought about using to sell short stories. I can not always donate to things that I would like to but I would not mind writing content to help bring in money to keep WF going. I would have/like to think that other members would also donate writing, poetry, prose, music, art work we have a very diverse group with many tallents that could be used to bring in revenue. Just my two pennies worth.

P.S I'm sorry to hear that Cran will be taking a step back but I would like to thank Sam, Pip and you Gumby for taking over.
    Fancy joining a photgraphy group? The check out the Hidden Content group.

Visit My Blog to get to know me better.Hidden Content Hidden Content A fun group of like minded new writers.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content A place for young writers to talk and chill.

Why not check out the Hidden Content and join in the latest challenge discussions.

My own funds are very short but I reckon I can chip in $5 -$15 most months, and maybe more if my work plans later this year come to fruition. If enough people make even a small donation, running costs need not be an issue. I realise that some on here are students and have zero or little income, but so long as people chip in something when they are able, this site should be fine.
    I intend to donate a small piece of writing eventually, but a competition organiser temporarily has rights to it which will return to me later. It's not a problem. It's what I agreed to when I didn't think I had a hope in hell of winning it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Istine View Post
    Does the hosting cost vary with bandwidth used?
    I sometimes surf around on here without it being totally necessary. Would it help reduce overheads if people limited their unnecessary usage?
    Please carry on enjoying WF as before. We want our community to grow and we are working towards improving our member experience rather than restrict it. I don't fully understand bandwidth but Kevin_L, our technical guru, would have it covered.
    Last edited by PiP; March 6th, 2018 at 07:01 PM.
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Whether it's Patreon, or Kickstarter, every fundraiser site asks for a fee in percentage of raised funds (which I think is reasonable). We could gain visibility this way, and perhaps more writers will find us.

In the meantime, every elephant needs food. So don't stay away from the forums, we are the food, but we can become caretakers, or even elephants ourselves.

I see the thermometer has disappeared from the main page. Does this mean that we have made our target for March?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Istine View Post
    I see the thermometer has disappeared from the main page. Does this mean that we have made our target for March?
    Nooo, there was a problem with their website and we had to remove the link. We are looking for another thermometer or similar widget if anyone has any ideas
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

No, though we are just short of it. What happened was a technical problem with the website we got the thermometer from, so we just disabled it until we can correct it.

ETA: Jinx, Pip!
    There is no life I know

Sorry to hear that.
    I'm wondering if there is a piggy bank version somewhere online. I just know Pip would love that.

Can't find a piggy bank, but we were forced to install a different thermometer. What do you all think? It is minimalist, yes?
    There is no life I know

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast