The Elephant in the Room

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

The Elephant in the Room

He is pretty hard to miss. You may have seen him trying to stuff himself into a small corner, doing his best to be unobtrusive. But the time has come to acknowledge his presence.

“He” is the ongoing cost of running this site. We have been very fortunate these past five years, having Cran as the owner of this forum. He has been a generous and involved owner, covering the additional expenditures between what our donations bring in and the bottom line cost of keeping the doors open.

Cran made the personal decision to never sell WF, preferring instead to pass her on to those who care the most for The Green Lady. This means that myself,
    PiP and Sam will be taking on the responsibility of running this site. Unfortunately, we do not have the resources to match Cran's generosity so we will need your help with a fund raising drive.

You may have noticed a new addition to our home page (a fundraising thermometer in the forum sidebar) which we will update on a weekly basis. This will keep all of our members in the loop, as to where we are financially. Starting on March 1st, we are setting a goal of $250 a month.

We will also be introducing Google Ads over the next few months. All monies raised will be plowed back into maintaining and improving member experience.

There is no life I know
    To compare with pure imagination.
    Living there you’ll be free
    If you truly wish to be.~ Willy Wonka

I know I suggested "Roomful of Elephants" for the LM prompt,but I didn't see this coming
    I will be happy to make a small donation as and when I'm able. It's usually easier for me spring to autumn as my income takes a hit in winter (can't wash windows in a freeze-up).

On the PayPal donate page, who gets email/phone number info? For political reasons I do not want PayPal to be contacting me.

You should consider a Patreon page as well. Surely there are those who could and/or would donate content for such a venture. Extra revenue rivulets couldn't hurt.

"From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

I was wondering if the donation graphic could be made to stand out more, and possibly show on other pages. Maybe a flashing yellow graphic to draw attention. Quite a while ago I set the "Introduce Yourself" thread as my brower's opening page. Anyone doing something like that would miss the donation thermometer.
    Not so noticeable as to be annoying, but sufficient to attract attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Istine View Post
    I know I suggested "Roomful of Elephants" for the LM prompt,but I didn't see this coming
    I will be happy to make a small donation as and when I'm able. It's usually easier for me spring to autumn as my income takes a hit in winter (can't wash windows in a freeze-up).
    Thank you, Phil! We appreciate any and all donations, including and especially the wonderful donation all of our members make by just being here and participating on the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by sas View Post
    On the PayPal donate page, who gets email/phone number info? For political reasons I do not want PayPal to be contacting me.
    I am not sure, sas. I don't think you can get out of giving that kind of information, unless you wish to make a donation by mail. We do have some members who prefer that method. Anyone who wishes to do so can contact me by PM and I will provide an address for you to use.

Quote Originally Posted by moderan View Post
    You should consider a Patreon page as well. Surely there are those who could and/or would donate content for such a venture. Extra revenue rivulets couldn't hurt.
    Thank you for that, Duane! You are so right, extra revenue rivulets are most welcome. We will check into that.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Istine View Post
    I was wondering if the donation graphic could be made to stand out more, and possibly show on other pages. Maybe a flashing yellow graphic to draw attention. Quite a while ago I set the "Introduce Yourself" thread as my brower's opening page. Anyone doing something like that would miss the donation thermometer.
    Not so noticeable as to be annoying, but sufficient to attract attention.
    Hmmm, I'll have to give that some thought, Phil. There is a line between being noticed and being annoying, as you say. Thank you for your question. I do think we could bump up the widgets visibility factor, even if it is only to find a more noticeable one.
    There is no life I know
    To compare with pure imagination.
    Living there you’ll be free
    If you truly wish to be.~ Willy Wonka

Quote Originally Posted by moderan View Post
    They already have the Friends Of WritingForum annual donation / subscription option. Patreon does take a cut, so anyone who wants to do a recurring donation would probably do well to look there first.
    I find that my lack of knowledge can sometimes be an asset in that I'm forced to try new things because I don't have any other options.

You're entirely missing the point.
    Think visibility.

"From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

So that's 10$ a month for 25 members or 5$ a month for 50 members or some mix of the two. I know that not everyone can afford to donate, but hopefully, with enough donating, we can reach that goal.
    "I think it's blessed are the cheese makers." "...What's so special about the cheese makers?" - Life of Brian

Does the hosting cost vary with bandwidth used?
    I sometimes surf around on here without it being totally necessary. Would it help reduce overheads if people limited their unnecessary usage?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast