So Uh...Erhm - Page 6

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: So Uh...Erhm

Quote Originally Posted by PiP View Post
    We can add a note to the Poetry forum description that poetry posted to this area is visible to search engines and guests.

The Poets' Workshop clearly states: A members-only forum for poets to post works for serious critique or to prevent access to search engines.

Poetry:
    Share your poetry to this forum for critique and feedback

Poets who are looking for serious critique post to the workshop - hence the name workshop.

Obviously no one reads the fine print. Or wordy explanations beneath. Odd for writers, if you ask me. So, go brief with clarity or stay home. My suggestion was concise & to the point. What is wrong with it? Actually, I don't care anymore. Beating a dead donkey. These slug fests will continue. Perhaps it's amusing.

Just my 2 pennies thrown into this mix. Large companies (many) State and County Governments have been held hostage for ransom (big money) for personal or any data. (IT thoughts, fail over processes take time and backups are more than likely on the server infected and by then information is in the hands of others)

No matter what forum, works are posted on the INTERNET. No one is safe (just my opinion) no matter where you post.

I'm not trying to become "published" or be a total ass on the issue here but if information is wanted it can be acquired.

I use this site as a release to spread my voice after several years of silence.

I've enjoyed and have learned a lot in my short time here.

Much respect to those who mentor, monitor and keep the forum running.

~A

Maybe the Russian internet mob has a black market for poetry that we don't know about, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

How about a "Showcase Safe Room For The Easilly Butt-hurt- Absolutely No critiques Allowed!" section? There could be a "curl up in a ball/fetal position and cry" sub section. Sam could be the moderator as he knows (nor cares, for that matter) nothing about poets or poetry- a totally non-biased/objective/neutral party.

Perhaps my thoughts as a new/beginning poet might help. First @Kevin. I had permission a while ago to create a thread for such, a non-critique thread for up 100 word stories/poems.. I did this in the Lounge, here is the link: https://www.writingforums.com/thread...ptly-Spun-Tale I'd be more than willing to continue this but I did stop as it had no takers. Perhaps another location would help and I can change the posted limits as well. I'll also add that easily but hurt is a comment that added to my perception of the Poetry Thread. To belittle or borderline insult a writer or poet who's background you don't know comes across as condescending and elitist. That's not to imply you are but perception is the mind of the reader, not the writer.

As for posting in the Poetry thread. I have the following [email protected] on pages 2,3, and 4, 2 on page 11. The page 11 poems were the recipients of what one member said was 'being torn apart' without noticing or acknowledging the difficulty or positive elements. After that I was invited into "The Hill." The critiques there were just as detailed but they also had an element of encouragement and suggestions. Were any of the critiques in the Poetry Thread wrong, bad or intentionally hurtful, absolutely not, but their degree of analysis made me believe that the Poetry Thread was not intended for poets like me, new, inexperienced and uniformed as to the rules, nuances and intricacies of poetry. I viewed the Poetry Thread as the major leagues that I wasn't ready for.
    The guidance I've been receiving in "The Hill"as provided me a growth in writing poetry and receiving constructive criticism. Hence the poems on pages 2,3,and 4.

Is Poetry Thread the major leagues? Yes, but my definition has changed. Yes, I do fully believe that there is an expectation of a higher quality poem being posted there. There is an expectation of what you're looking for in a critique, more improvement oriented toward what's wrong than acknowledgement of what's right or good. Is my perception wrong, maybe but that is why I wrote a poem now in The Hill-The View from Down Here. I know the purpose is to help improve a posted poem. There are poets here who feel I've made progress and some who feel I haven't or have regressed. Either way, I'm not good enough to post anything, so far, in this thread.
    Last edited by Pelwrath; February 25th, 2018 at 09:31 AM.
    "Illegitimi non carborundum " Vinegar' Joe Stilwell

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." Martin Luther King Jr.

What you learn in life is important, those you help learn, are more important.

"They can because they think they can."
    ​Virgil

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools will speak to say something." Plato

"The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible."
    ​ Mark Twain

"To those of you who received honors, awards and distinctions, I say well done. And to the C students, I say you, too, can be president of the United States." George W. Bush

You made some good points, Pel. Most importantly, that inexperienced poets sometimes find the level and sheer volume of academic critique that is given in the open threads baffling and overwhelming. It's not that anyone is a cry baby or doesn't want help but small steps are easier to follow and a bit of encouragement goes a long way. Most of us can tell when a poet is at the beginning of their writing journey and needs to get to grips with some basics before being flooded with extensive critique and most of the old hands recognise this and tailor their critique to fit.

On a lighter note, I almost always post on the open poetry thread because I want as many people as possible to read my work. If search engines want to scatter my poems across the web, good luck to them. I'm never gonna get rich by writing poetry so I might as well be famous.
    Last edited by jenthepen; February 25th, 2018 at 07:50 PM.

Glad to see the poets here are as contentious as ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Ariel View Post
    Glad to see the poets here are as contentious as ever.
    Yeah, some things never change... right? Poets are passionate people, I think... and most of us feel passionate about what we write...but, dammmmmIT, we should know by now, how to deal with critique... it is so ^%%$% simple... say "thanks" and mooooooove on...
    She lost herself in the trees,
    among the ever-changing leaves.
    She wept beneath the wild sky
    as stars told stories of ancient times.
    The flowers grew toward her light,
    the river called her name at night.
    She could not live an ordinary life,
    with the mysteries of the universe
    hidden in her eyes....
    Author: Christy Ann Martine

Death leaves a heartache no one can heal,
    love leaves a memory no one can steal....
    Author unknown.

I've thought for a while that a discussion on what constitutes good critique and how to give good critique was needed.

I'd volunteer to write it but I don't want to.
    Last edited by Ariel; March 8th, 2018 at 07:24 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Oh you guys whine too much!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast