Thoughts on combining multiple ideas

Thread: Thoughts on combining multiple ideas

Thoughts on combining multiple ideas

In my writing I have noticed a tendency to want to combine different ideas.
    Two concepts seemingly unrelated to begin with that end up with similar themes or similar characters.
    I was wondering what you all thought about amalgamating different multiple different ideas.
    Does it create a wider and more expansive story? Will it allow for deeper characters in the long run?
    Or do I run the risk of trying to mix two ideas that ultimately don't quite stitch together seamlessly? Trying to force a narrative from two ideas that don't really fit together.

As an example I started off with two separate ideas, one being more of a macabre fairy tale, drawing inspiration from the likes of Neil Gaiman's "Coraline" and "The Graveyard Book" as well as Alice in Wonderland. The other being a more mature dark fantasy.
    Similar themes around their individual mythologies started to develop as well as similarities between certain characters and the idea eventually dawned on me that I could have one as a sort of prequel or origin story to the other. I could have the protagonist in the fairy tale end up as the protagonist in the dark fantasy.

I don't know if this arises simply as a result of drawing from similar sources or writing similar main characters, I am just wondering if anyone has had similar experiences as well as how well it would work out.

It'll either work out or not as you're writing. Creating is always an adventure. Sometimes the path is smooth and you fly downhill. Other times you push a load uphill over bumpy ground.

If the ideas are merging naturally, it'll probably work out fine. If you're forcing it, then there's more chance of trouble.

Blog Entries
    I've always considered it a logical fallacy that any story is simply one idea. Even short stories are a combination of ideas.

One story I wrote was called Redemption. It's a little under a thousand words and I can sum it up easily enough by telling you it's about a kid who recycles his grandfather. The ideas that lead to the final story involved a bad experience with the Massachusetts Department of Transitional Assistance, the culturally acceptable exploitation of certain groups of people for financial gain, and a fake bus stop at a nursing home in Germany.

The challenge is weaving all of these ideas into a coherent narrative without beating your reader over the head with every single ounce of symbolism.
    I write because if I did anything else with the ideas in my head, I'd go to prison.

When you say combine, you actually mean two separate stories with the same cast of character? Yeah, sure, it makes total sense.

I thought you meant two ideas become one story, which can work too. I've had several thoughts of mixing two ideas, but I always struggle with properly mixing them, because usually they always have their own stable plots already so if I try to add in another arc it always ends in chaos if I don't want to change major points I liked in one but don't go well with the other.
    "When in doubt, have a man come through a door with a gun in his hand." - Raymond Chandler