genre, slipstream? - Page 2


Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: genre, slipstream?

  1. #11
    Would it be difficult to say if Octavia Butler did so? She writes on social justice movements such as racism and has done well. She's talked about a lot. Good topic.
    Last edited by Theglasshouse; February 21st, 2018 at 09:21 PM.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

  2. #12
    octavia butler
    by the time she wrote the Xenogenesis Trilogy,
    the SF classification that appears in wiki
    definitely applies.
    i have a vague recollection of Bloodchild,
    which was SF to me.
    seems to me that the Parables might be
    considered slipstream by some.
    SF has long been a great exploration space
    for "controversial" concepts.
    octavia.
    awesome author! (imho)

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by -xXx- View Post
    certainly could be.
    some night gallery stories, too.
    Which ones?
    I'd submit They're Tearing Down Tim Riley's Bar as an example. Cognitive dissonance as affect, yes.
    Octavia Butler, probably not.
    The essence of slipstream is substituting a new reality. Philip K Dick's Faith of our Fathers is another example of early slipstream as according to Sterling...though in truth I find the classification sorta nebulous and almost as obnoxious as calling every 'something'-punk and just fragmenting into whateverland. Trying to pin down jello is like that.
    Hidden Content
    "From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by moderan View Post
    ...though in truth I find the classification sorta nebulous and almost as obnoxious as calling every 'something'-punk and just fragmenting into whateverland. Trying to pin down jello is like that.
    This! genre sorting makes my head hurt and is typically done in retrospect anyway. Wouldn't it be cool to just write what you write and have some critic nerd somewhere say you've started a new micro-sub-neo-genre? Well, maybe not, but there is much to be said about ignoring classification altogether.
    “Fools” said I, “You do not know
    Silence like a cancer grows
    Hear my words that I might teach you
    Take my arms that I might reach you”
    But my words like silent raindrops fell
    And echoed in the wells of silence : Simon & Garfunkel


    Those who enjoy stirring the chamber-pot should be required to lick the spoon.

    Our job as writers is to make readers dream, to infiltrate their minds with our words and create a new reality; a reality not theirs, and not ours, but a new, unique combination of both.

    Visit Amazon and the Kindle Store to check out Reflections in a Black Mirror, and Chase

    Hidden Content






  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    This! genre sorting makes my head hurt and is typically done in retrospect anyway. Wouldn't it be cool to just write what you write and have some critic nerd somewhere say you've started a new micro-sub-neo-genre? Well, maybe not, but there is much to be said about ignoring classification altogether.
    Generally what I do unless I'm writing to a theme. Then genre is more-or-less predetermined. But I'm a genrehopper. My people are noirish, my settings worldbuilt, my science is science, my magic is magic, my hair is brown, my eyes are green, and I used to have a Sony Trinitron.
    Hidden Content
    "From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by moderan View Post
    Generally what I do unless I'm writing to a theme. Then genre is more-or-less predetermined. But I'm a genrehopper. My people are noirish, my settings worldbuilt, my science is science, my magic is magic, my hair is brown, my eyes are green, and I used to have a Sony Trinitron.
    *short bio reference*
    *mental note*

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This website uses cookies
We use cookies to store session information to facilitate remembering your login information, to allow you to save website preferences, to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.