Robert Rankin and Terry Pratchett - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    What I personally like about the Discworld series is how it has grown up with me. When I first picked one up I was just thirteen and at that point there where one set of things that appealed yet if I read that same novel now another whole lot of layers and sub-texts will jump out at me. They are books just filled with layers of genre references, political and social opinions, cultural commentaries, original humour, movie and music references, pop culture, history, historical figures, mythology... I don't think that I could list all the topics and other things that Pratchett manages to touch upon in his work.

I have to admit that I am a sucker for dry British humour, Monty Python, Father Ted, The Two Ronnies, A Fish Called Wanda, the movie about the zoo?, The Jeeves novels... They just appeal.

Might by why I love Robert Asprins Phules Company so much, it seems to have a little but of all of the above in it but in space.
    Write what is good, not what is popular or approved by the times you live in. - Xenization

Quote Originally Posted by Jack of all trades View Post
    I hope I don't smack myself in the head for not knowing this -- what is TCP?
    Hi, Jack, it was a greenish-yellowish liquid used as a cure-all by the parents of old buggers like me back in the 1950 - 60s, don't know if it's still going. You weren't supposed to ingest it and besides it stank of rank urine so who would want to. It could be used as a gargle however.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenization View Post
    What I personally like about the Discworld series is how it has grown up with me. When I first picked one up I was just thirteen and at that point there where one set of things that appealed yet if I read that same novel now another whole lot of layers and sub-texts will jump out at me. They are books just filled with layers of genre references, political and social opinions, cultural commentaries, original humour, movie and music references, pop culture, history, historical figures, mythology... I don't think that I could list all the topics and other things that Pratchett manages to touch upon in his work.

I have to admit that I am a sucker for dry British humour, Monty Python, Father Ted, The Two Ronnies, A Fish Called Wanda, the movie about the zoo?, The Jeeves novels... They just appeal.

Might by why I love Robert Asprins Phules Company so much, it seems to have a little but of all of the above in it but in space.
    Hi Xenisation. Have you seen the Jeeves and Wooster TV series with Stephen Fry & Hugh Laurie? Each episode is redolent of the 1920s- 30s. Dad's Army is also pretty funny in a realistic way as you can imagine the make-up of the Home Guard as being just like the TV series portrays them.

The thing that fascinates me about Discworld is the way in which Pratchett succeeds in weaving together all those mythical beings, vampires, golems, werewolves, wizards, witches, dwarves, not to mention differently invented items such as the clacks, steam trains, post office etc etc.

The whole structure of Discworld society should have crumbled as soon as it was formed but it works.

topcol

Quote Originally Posted by Xenization View Post

ooohhh...I forgot about these books. It has been so long since I read them.

Quote Originally Posted by topcol View Post
    Hi Xenisation. Have you seen the Jeeves and Wooster TV series with Stephen Fry & Hugh Laurie? Each episode is redolent of the 1920s- 30s. Dad's Army is also pretty funny in a realistic way as you can imagine the make-up of the Home Guard as being just like the TV series portrays them.

The thing that fascinates me about Discworld is the way in which Pratchett succeeds in weaving together all those mythical beings, vampires, golems, werewolves, wizards, witches, dwarves, not to mention differently invented items such as the clacks, steam trains, post office etc etc.

The whole structure of Discworld society should have crumbled as soon as it was formed but it works.

topcol
    I know of the show but can't say I have seen any of it... I am not sure why as I like Hugh Laurie.

I will have to look up Dad's Army, I saw the movie remake thing a little while ago with... The Rock Star person from Love Actually? I never remember his name. :/

Yes! That is also a point of fascination with me, that and how real the world feels once you are really into a book. It feels like it ought to work, or at least that it is the natural way for things to work.
    Write what is good, not what is popular or approved by the times you live in. - Xenization

Quote Originally Posted by Roac View Post
    ooohhh...I forgot about these books. It has been so long since I read them.
    I just loved them... read the whole series in like a month and a bit. I just could not get enough of them. I then was stuck for something to read after that so I picked up Doorways in the Sand by Zelazny. Just loved it.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345