How to Avoid Distractions?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to Avoid Distractions?

How to Avoid Distractions?

I use an online app for my writing. I like it because I can quickly look at other information online very quickly. Unfortunately, that very same internet access provides an endless supply of distractions.

Any advice on how to block out the distracting stuff and utilize the internet better for writing purposes? I can't block sites like Facebook and Pinterest entirely, because I use them as research tools as well as social media.
    Somewhere... Beyond the sea...

You just have to learn self discipline.
    ...says the guy who is screwing around on a writing forum when he should be writing.

Try designing a reward system. Like, "if I spend this 1-hour block of time writing, and only writing, then I will watch such-and-such video. Or, after 1000 words, then I will check such-and-such social media."

For me, personally, I write longhand to keep myself focused, so I don't know if this would actually help or not. It's just an idea. It's how I make myself do homework, sometimes. . .
    "So long is the way to the unknown, long is the way we have come. . ." ~ Turisas, Five Hundred and One

"[An artist is] an idiot babbling through town. . .crying, 'Dreams, dreams for sale! Two for a kopek, two for a song; if you won't buy them, just take them for free!'" ~ Michael O' Brien,
    Sophia House

Christ is risen from the dead,
    trampling on Death by death,
    And on those in the tombs,
    lavishing light.

My general ethos is 'If I'm distracted while writing this, so will the reader be while reading it'.

Keeps my mind on what I'm supposed to be doing most of the time.
    Sleep is for the weak, or sleep is for a week.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    I write about anime and internet culture at Hidden Content

Also, consider the possibility that you don't have a clear idea of what to write. Brainstorm. With someone, if you can.

I agree with Cadence, when you're excited about what you're writing it's more likely that the reader will be when reading it. (Which is why I hate the "sit down and just write" advice.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack of all trades View Post
    when you're excited about what you're writing it's more likely that the reader will be when reading it. (Which is why I hate the "sit down and just write" advice.)
    Honestly, I don't think you have to be 'excited' all the time to write effective prose. The important thing is leaning how to stay focused when you're not excited. Be results-oriented rather than pleasure-oriented: today might be a hard day, but devote yourself to writing what you've disciplined yourself into putting out regularly and on the days you are excited you'll have more to work with, especially if you're editing anything on one of those days. And that will yield more results than waiting for the right feeling (which get more and more elusive the longer you wait).
    Sleep is for the weak, or sleep is for a week.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    I write about anime and internet culture at Hidden Content

Definitely just have to have focus on the story and getting it written down.

For myself, I am distracted all the time. And it is not just the internet. Life is full of distractions. However, I know that if I want to get anything finished and if I want to get better at writing, I need to push those distractions to the side and focus on the task at hand.

But man is it hard to do!

Blog Entries
    I know at least one writer planning to get a second computer just for writing- nothing else.
    "Sometimes I wish I could stay asleep, not because my life is that dull and boring but because my dreams are just that good." - Mindy Dyksterhouse (MzSnowleopard)
    Admin @ Hidden Content & Hidden Content
    Student @ Hidden Content
    Hidden Content / Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by ArrowInTheBowOfTheLord View Post
    Try designing a reward system. Like, "if I spend this 1-hour block of time writing, and only writing, then I will watch such-and-such video. Or, after 1000 words, then I will check such-and-such social media."
    Eh, I've never been good with those reward systems. I can't keep a journal for the same reason.
    Somewhere... Beyond the sea...

Blog Entries
    Every writer gets distracted. Even the ones you see on the shelves every single day have to push themselves to finish their three pages a day.

My advice: Let the distractions happen. Either that or find something you're okay with being distracted by. JK Rowling used Minesweeper and chewing gum. I've played way more than my share of Spider Solitaire.

Distraction is your mind's way of saying, "I can't work with you staring at the blank screen. Give your eyes something else to do for a minute or two."
    I write because if I did anything else with the ideas in my head, I'd go to prison.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast