Returning member after a super long absence - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Returning member after a super long absence

Blog Entries
    Erotica;
    I've thought about that, but maybe I'm just a dirty old man. I think about that also.
    Un-finished business?
    Don't get me started.
    If i post a comment on a "WIP", LOOK! I'm a reader that's all, and i can only tell how i feel, as a READER, giving/offering feedback. Hoping to learn and grow here. So please, tell me where i'm going wrong.

Me? I'm just a fly on the wall.

Look! I'm trying, okay?

One can but dream, if only i had dared.

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong" Mahatma Gandhi.
    Alas, i am weak.

I must find a way to Eastbourne and i so wish that i could dance.

Welcome back, Rebecca.

Sorry to hear about your troubles and quitting writing. I know how passionate you were about it, so that can't have been an easy decision. Glad you're biting the bullet, even a little bit, and giving it another shot.

I often fear how people will perceive some of the stuff I write, too, but I think it's always worse in your mind and rarely than in reality. I'd say go with it. You've worked on it for so long, if you don't let other people see it now, chances are you never will.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got into my pyjamas I'll never know." ~ Groucho Marx.

"It is better to be feared than loved, if one cannot be both". ~ Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer". ~ Bruce Lee.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few". ~ Shunryu Suzuki.

"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face". ~ Oscar Wilde.

"He who learns but does not think is lost; he who thinks but does not learn is in great danger". ~ Confucius.

Blog Entries
    I'll second what Sam said, well put by the way Sam, go for it.
    Put it out there 007. What can you lose?
    And who knows?
    Kerching!
    If i post a comment on a "WIP", LOOK! I'm a reader that's all, and i can only tell how i feel, as a READER, giving/offering feedback. Hoping to learn and grow here. So please, tell me where i'm going wrong.

Look! I'm trying, okay?

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong" Mahatma Gandhi.
    Alas, i am weak.

Quote Originally Posted by dither View Post
    Erotica;
    I've thought about that, but maybe I'm just a dirty old man. I think about that also.
    Un-finished business?
    Don't get me started.
    Joanna isn't erotica. It's a deep, gnarly science fiction (latter half of this century) short story (bit less than 10K) about a little girl who has developed some monstrous behavioral issues over the past few months since she and her mother relocated from a small town to a big city. On the advice of the girl's therapist, and in an effort to understand her daughter's sudden personality changes and incredibly violent behavioral swings, the mother acquires a very advanced action figure, Captain Coflex, whose stunning AI has basically rendered him "an accidental person". Story is told from Coflex's POV and concerns not only the abuse of a minor but also her subsequent abuse of Coflex.

I've actually written far more violent and graphic content before, but I can't recall ever writing a child perpetrating it, so that part was exceptionally difficult for me. Then, of course, showing a bit of why she'd changed in the first place was also very rough to write, and there's where I got stalled for nine years. I know I'm going to have to pad out the end, but I'm waiting to see what all I should add. Fresh eyes are important!

I think it's a very important story, which is why I simply couldn't die before I'd finished it. Lots of reasons why I think it's important. Childhood abuse victims are generally portrayed as one-sided nice, crying little kids, but that nasty side is rarely shown unless the character is a bad guy and that part of the story is just backstory then. Kids who take their own abuse out on others are just monsters, if you believe all the fiction, so I wanted to show Joanna to maybe tip that scale. I think AI is moving toward more mainstream, home use, also, and could quite reasonably be placed in such hairy situations eventually.
    "Ammonia will disinfect sin."
    --adrianhayter

"Art is life, just add bull****."
    --Chris Miller

Blog Entries
    So what now?
    Is it finished?
    Do you have something to present to the world? And if you have, give it a shot.

Look! I'm trying, okay?

Alas, i am weak.

Quote Originally Posted by dither View Post
    So what now?
    Is it finished?
    Do you have something to present to the world? And if you have, give it a shot.
    Shoot. Red Light won't take it because it involves a (presumed) minor. Not sure if I specified Joanna's age in the story, but I'm pretty sure they're not going to care. Looks like I'm back to square one, the "Nobody's ever going to read this" square.
    --adrianhayter

--Chris Miller

Send it to me in a pm I would be glad to take a look at it.

So, with some edits, I was allowed to post it in the Red Light Room (at least temporarily). Here's to hoping I don't get banned or have the FBI coming after me.

Posting that thing felt like diving off a cliff.
    --adrianhayter

--Chris Miller

Blog Entries
    Good luck.

Look! I'm trying, okay?

Alas, i am weak.

Welcome back! I am rather new myself, and like you took a rather long hiatus from writing anything due to a lot of life and death getting in the way. I have an idea that has been on my mind for a long time and it is a true story. I just am not sure how to go about it just yet here. So far I have posted an old work and am working on fine tuning it with lots of help.

Hope you can get your health issue resolved. Prayers for you!

Arian

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast