Tool that shows which Libraries carry your book!

Thread: Tool that shows which Libraries carry your book!

Lightbulb Tool that shows which Libraries carry your book!

Today, I checked on my Goodreads author page and noticed an interesting link under each of my books (see link below). This link apparently shows which libraries (world-wide) carry a particular book. Acccording to this site, 10 libraries in the US. carry my debut book (about college teaching), but none carry my 2nd book (a self-publishing guide). Thought I'd share this link in case other authors here are interested in finding out how many of your books are carried by libraries.

LINK: http://www.worldcat.org
    Mikeyboy_esq
    Check out my books for authors including SMART MARKETING FOR INDIE AUTHORS and 14 STEPS TO SELF-PUBLISHING A BOOK.
    Hidden Content

Related note for any Canadian authors (and probably authors elsewhere, but not in the US)... we get PAID when our books are in libraries! I registered thinking I was wasting my time, but I got a cheque for $1 700 last year, in exchange for about an hour's work sending in photocopies of titles and registration pages. If you have books in libraries, it's absolutely worth doing!

In Canada, it's the Canada Council for the Arts, Public Lending Right Program you want to google. Other places, I expect the name of your country and "Public Lending Right" would get you something.

But sorry, Americans, I don't think you guys have anything like this.

Do you mean that you get paid in addition to the payment from the library actually buying your book? That would be pretty cool. Have not heard of it in the US. I LOVE libraries as they generally don't return the books they buy, whereas bookstores and wholesalers do. In fact, I've had the wholesaler Ingram return 5 books one day and then buy 10 the next. It is crazy given the overhead on returns.

American Library Association has some great marketing opportunities to get your books in front of librarians. And the America Library Directory has a set of books you can buy used that includes library email addresses. The cost to buy them used is a lot cheaper than time spent looking up libraries. You can also pay to do data downloads of their directory. Not cheap but if you are in the business of selling books to libraries, well worth the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayview View Post
    Related note for any Canadian authors (and probably authors elsewhere, but not in the US)... we get PAID when our books are in libraries! I registered thinking I was wasting my time, but I got a cheque for $1 700 last year, in exchange for about an hour's work sending in photocopies of titles and registration pages. If you have books in libraries, it's absolutely worth doing!

In Canada, it's the Canada Council for the Arts, Public Lending Right Program you want to google. Other places, I expect the name of your country and "Public Lending Right" would get you something.

But sorry, Americans, I don't think you guys have anything like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TKent View Post
    Do you mean that you get paid in addition to the payment from the library actually buying your book? That would be pretty cool. Have not heard of it in the US. I LOVE libraries as they generally don't return the books they buy, whereas bookstores and wholesalers do. In fact, I've had the wholesaler Ingram return 5 books one day and then buy 10 the next. It is crazy given the overhead on returns.

American Library Association has some great marketing opportunities to get your books in front of librarians. And the America Library Directory has a set of books you can buy used that includes library email addresses. The cost to buy them used is a lot cheaper than time spent looking up libraries. You can also pay to do data downloads of their directory. Not cheap but if you are in the business of selling books to libraries, well worth the cost.
    Yeah, they buy the books through the usual channels and my publisher and I get paid, and then there's an extra payment on top of that, just for the author, I assume to make up for the "lost sales" when people borrow the books rather than buying them.

In Canada, apparently there are ten "special" libraries whose catalogues are surveyed, and registered Canadian authors get a payment for each book of theirs that shows up in those chosen libraries. My books from big publishers showed up in ten out of ten of the catalogues, so they must be fairly good-sized libraries. Some of my books from smaller publishers showed up in a few places, and my self-published books didn't show up in any of them. Even without the money, it was an interesting survey, but with​ the money? Bonanza!

ETA: And it's an annual payment, so for as long as my books are in the collections, I get paid! They're accepting e-books, now, and I assume the e-books will never be removed from the collections, so that rule may have to be adapted (unless they have unlimited money to keep paying authors, which would be excellent!). But for now, it's still in place. I'm looking forward to my annual cheque in the next few weeks. And along with the cheque they send paperwork for me to add any new books I've had published this year. It's cool, definitely.

Libraries in America are constantly closing, poor urban areas especially. Such a damn pity, as that is where I grew up. I walked to the branch library. We did not have a single book in my home, ever. Children there now have little chance of escape today. And, just remember history, folks....if no escape seems feasible, no stepping stone access to a middle class, expect anarchy.

Those were great days in my house too. Not many books but that trip to the library was magic

Quote Originally Posted by sas View Post
    Libraries in America are constantly closing, poor urban areas especially. Such a damn pity, as that is where I grew up. I walked to the branch library. We did not have a single book in my home, ever. Children there now have little chance of escape today. And, just remember history, folks....if no escape seems feasible, no stepping stone access to a middle class, expect anarchy.

You guys are making me feel really mercenary, thinking of libraries as places of profit instead of temples to the joy of reading!

But, yes, libraries are wonderful! When I was a kid my dad used to make me sign out one non-fiction book for every two fiction books. He could make me sign 'em out, but he forgot to make me read​ them!

[QUOTE=Bayview;2135635]You guys are making me feel really mercenary, thinking of libraries as places of profit instead of temples to the joy of reading!

But, yes, libraries are wonderful! When I was a kid my dad used to make me sign out one non-fiction book for every two fiction books. He could make me sign 'em out, but he forgot to make me read​ them![/QUOTE

It seems so many writers here had parents who read, and who read to them. I've absolutely no idea how I came to like reading and writing. None. As I've grown older, I think it is genetic. My parents were quite uneducated (5th & 8th grade). Money would never be wasted on a book. Even now, with money, I have a hard time buying a book that isn't used. Last month, I spent a whopping $26 on a brand new (!), hard cover (!) book by Phillip Levine. I am now reading it again, so with each read it gets cheaper. Smart, huh?