Good article on eBook Pricing

Lightbulb Good article on eBook Pricing

Here's a good article on eBook pricing...

https://www.thebookdesigner.com/2018...ng-your-ebook/
    Mikeyboy_esq
    proud author of:
    1) Engaging College Students: A Fun and Edgy Guide for Professors
    2) 14 Steps to Self-Publishing a Book
    www.engagingcollegestudents.com

Mikey, this is really useful, thanks for sharing.

I wondered how authors decide on pricing. Personally, I would never pay $9.99 for a book by a new author.

However, genre makes a huge difference in terms of what folks are willing to pay.
    In some genres (especially high-volume “pulp” genres like romance, science fiction, fantasy, and, to a lesser extent, mysteries), readers often expect anything shorter than a full-length book (fifty thousand or more words) to be priced $0.99, while full length pieces are generally priced $2.99–$4.99. On the other hand, in other genres (for example, literary fiction, non-fiction, etc.), short stories, novellas, and single essays are often priced $2.99, while full-length works are priced $4.99–$9.99.
    “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

John Lydgate

Right. When I priced my books/eBooks, I paid a lot of attention to the prices of my closest competitor's books/eBooks. Because I was an unknown author, I purposely chose a lower price to encourage sales and hopefully build up reviews (especially for my 1st book). When I look to buy a book, I don't always pay attention to whether it is that author's 1st book (I probably should). Rather, I pay more attention to the reviews/ratings. I'm usually willing to pay more if it has lots of reviews and high ratings. But that is just me.
    Mikeyboy_esq
    proud author of:

Just wanted to follow-up on this. I changed the pricing of one of my eBooks (increased it a few bucks) to the pricing that was recommended and my sales increased last month. Its too soon to tell if my sales increased due to the price increase or if it was just a seasonal thing (increased sales for similar books like mine... a self-publishing guide). Anyway, I'm pleased with the results so far.
    Mikeyboy_esq
    proud author of: