Short Stories and Magazines

Thread: Short Stories and Magazines

Short Stories and Magazines

Hi all.
    I`m curious about submitting short stories in magazines. I`ve been writing short stories for a while now and am building up a few finished ones, and actually have been putting them up on my website and facebook page for people to read if they want to, although not many do. I have also got a few more in the works with more ideas spawning.
    And quite honestly, I wasn`t sure what to do with them.
    I genuinely just enjoy writing and do so in my spare time, when I have the time, and am not in a hurry to be published necessarily. Just don`t know what to do with what I have written. It always seems like they are wasted just sitting around on my computer so the thought occurred to me that maybe a magazine might publish them. I have had a look and there seem to be a lot of magazines publishing short stories, even in my particular genre of science fiction and fantasy.
    I am a big fan of Ted Chiang`s work and he only seems to have got published in magazines, mainly because he only writes short stories, and the odd novella, although he does have a book of short stories.

Have any of you any experience writing shorts stories for magazine publication?
    Is it a worthwhile step and does it help your writing?
    There seem to be so many, do any of you know the best ones and whether it`s ok to submit stories to a US based magazine if you from, say the UK?

Regards.
    Kris.

Sorry, my magazine experience is all non-fiction.
    Who is publishing short stories these days?
    Moderan mentioned working on an anthology the other day.

Ralan.com has a listing of magazines that look for flash and short stories
    "Illegitimi non carborundum " Vinegar' Joe Stilwell

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." Martin Luther King Jr.

What you learn in life is important, those you help learn, are more important.

"They can because they think they can."
    ​Virgil

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools will speak to say something." Plato

"The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible."
    ​ Mark Twain

"To those of you who received honors, awards and distinctions, I say well done. And to the C students, I say you, too, can be president of the United States." George W. Bush

Quote Originally Posted by Monaque View Post
    Hi all.
    I`m curious about submitting short stories in magazines. I`ve been writing short stories for a while now and am building up a few finished ones, and actually have been putting them up on my website and facebook page for people to read if they want to, although not many do. I have also got a few more in the works with more ideas spawning.
    And quite honestly, I wasn`t sure what to do with them.
    I genuinely just enjoy writing and do so in my spare time, when I have the time, and am not in a hurry to be published necessarily. Just don`t know what to do with what I have written. It always seems like they are wasted just sitting around on my computer so the thought occurred to me that maybe a magazine might publish them. I have had a look and there seem to be a lot of magazines publishing short stories, even in my particular genre of science fiction and fantasy.
    I am a big fan of Ted Chiang`s work and he only seems to have got published in magazines, mainly because he only writes short stories, and the odd novella, although he does have a book of short stories.

Have any of you any experience writing shorts stories for magazine publication?
    Is it a worthwhile step and does it help your writing?
    There seem to be so many, do any of you know the best ones and whether it`s ok to submit stories to a US based magazine if you from, say the UK?

Regards.
    Kris.
    Buy a few, read through them, and see what they're buying these days. Submit accordingly. Ralan is a good place to look for examples.
    Hidden Content
    "From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

Check dailysciencefiction.com. They're online, but they do publish anthologies and, best of all, they pay for stories (eight cents a word).

this is the best site I've found for locating writing markets. You can slice it, dice it, search by paying vs. non-paying, by genre, etc. You can also track where you've already submitted so you don't irritate editors by submitting a rejected piece to them a second time.

https://thegrinder.diabolicalplots.com/

Thank you Ralph, Pelwrath, moderan, stevesh, and TKent, for all your info and suggestions. There do seem to be a number of magazines out there and will certainly buy some more, having already bought the latest outing of Lightspeed, which I thought to be a bit pricey @ 3.00 but it turns out that it is nearly 300 pages long. So not so bad after all.
    Anyway, got some food for thought. Another suggestion was to maybe post some of my short stories in places like these in order to get some feedback, which I will do in due course.