Poetic License - Page 2

Submit your creative works to Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Poetic License

Oh. So I see. Sorry, I found it impossible to read past the first paragraphs to get on to your main point. Thanks for clarifying.

So... what exactly gave you the impression that I found no need for poetic license? In fact, I was responding with my point of view that poetry - in and of itself - is poetic license made manifest. Also, that the term poetic license is most applicable when speaking outside the subject of poetry - as in relating to other forms of writing - where license is given for stating a point poetically.

I'm sorry that you got the wrong impression. I may have not stated that clearly enough.
    P E R F E C T L Y . D A M A G E D

I am an interpretation of my experiences. Had I been born in a different time, a different place, I would be a different person.

HD, I think I made an assumption. After re-reading I think I understand better.

Quote Originally Posted by HorseDragon View Post
    Who are you laughing at? And why?
    Your disclaiming statement that what you wrote was "in [your] view" with the implicit suggestion that we're too (pick an adjective, any adjective) to figure that out ourselves.
    Everything you want is just outside your comfort zone.
    Robert G. Allen

Quote Originally Posted by astroannie View Post
    Your disclaiming statement that what you wrote was "in [your] view" with the implicit suggestion that we're too (pick an adjective, any adjective) to figure that out ourselves.
    Implied suggestion? Maybe you could point that out to me because it ain't there. Why would you read that into it, anyway?

I am an interpretation of my experiences. Had I been born in a different time, a different place, I would be a different person.

Maybe if I give an example. The title of a poem below.

Malleable as ...

using the "..." in a title is, I'm told a no no. Does poetic licence allow me to do so?
    "Illegitimi non carborundum " Vinegar' Joe Stilwell

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." Martin Luther King Jr.

What you learn in life is important, those you help learn, are more important.

"They can because they think they can."
    ​Virgil

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools will speak to say something." Plato

"The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible."
    ​ Mark Twain

"To those of you who received honors, awards and distinctions, I say well done. And to the C students, I say you, too, can be president of the United States." George W. Bush

Quote Originally Posted by Pelwrath View Post

Malleable as ...

using the "..." in a title is, I'm told a no no. Does poetic licence allow me to do so?
    Honestly, I have no idea if there is any such rule, but I've read comments by people over the years that say that it is just a trendy thing that kids do/did, and nobody should do it. Does that make it bad? I don't think so. I would assume that it has a lot to do with how or why someone would use an ellipsis in a title.

Personally, I tend not to use them. At least I never have as far as I recall. But - when posting to a writing site, one can expect a certain amount of pedantry in critiques. Maybe for a reason? I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelwrath View Post

Malleable as ...

Told by whom? I've never heard that you can't put ellipsis in titles. What other rules for titles have you heard?
    Everything you want is just outside your comfort zone.
    Robert G. Allen

I have no memory of whom, but I do remember reading a few comments on sites I have used in the past. Here's a quick first-google answer by one person - just as an example: https://english.stackexchange.com/qu...sis-in-a-title

Meanwhile, IMDB has a list of movie titles with ellipsis in the title: http://www.imdb.com/search/keyword?k...ipsis-in-title

So, like I said, I don't think that it is a problem, personally.

There are no rules in poetry, only examples as to what has successfully worked. Poetry is a creative art form, which by its very nature allows for individuality. How boring, otherwise.

I have used ellipsis in title when it is meant to be part of the first line of a poem.

well said Sas

but there is one golden rule - by some measure, it must be poetic...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast