Poetry resources

Thread: Poetry resources

Poetry resources

A Poet's Guide to Poetry, Second Edition (Chicago Guides to Writing, Editing, and Publishing)
    by Mary Kinzie (Paperback)

The Sounds of Poetry: A Brief Guide
    by Robert Pinsky (Paperback)

Sound and Sense: An Introduction to Poetry
    by Laurence Perrine, Thomas R. Arp (Paperback)

I searched this website and came across these three books in my research. The first one was recommended by Achilles but may be far too advanced for me. The second on the list is the one I plan to read the introduction book which is the last listed and is more advanced. Any advice on what I should and shouldn't do when studying poetry and poems?

For example, a poetry anthology from a single author could be helpful, and one of the best classics anthologies ever written. To get a feel for each technique when used every time it is used in a poem.

I plan to write poetry more often, as it complements well with fiction writing and sharing some of my work.

Recommendations or comments anyone wants to share?
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

'The Ode Less Travelled' by Stephen Fry is an excellent introductory text, especially in matters of meter and form. Even if you have no intention of employing meter and form in your own work, it'll help you to appreciate the poetry of those who do. 'The 20th Century in Poetry', edited by Rae and Hulse, is a chunky anthology covering all of the last century.

Thank you. I may try that book as it's an excellent suggestion because it has good reviews on Amazon. The preview looks promising, and there is a kindle version where is how I read most books. Thanks for the personal recommendation.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

A man in possession of a wooden spoon must be in want of a pot to stir.

It recommends some resources and has good information. Good website. I plan on purchasing the book mentioned and The ode less traveled is listed in the website that was also recommended by the member Bernard. It will be tough but since I have bought books on how to teach me to write fiction I'll include a used copy of ode less traveled. Thanks bloggsworth for your help. And eventually, I'll study the website. It's favorited. I still think my main complaint is that I need to write more on everything. But this should help me a lot. Merry Christmas to all.