Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Beta Readers (fantasy)

Blog Entries

Looking for Beta Readers (fantasy)

~ * ~

Hello Beta Readers!

Following a spate of rejections, I am on the lookout for a second/third/nth pair of eyes for my first novel, The Story of Echo, a fantasy set in a newly-industrialising world. At just over 137,000 words, it chronicles the journey of an imaginative yet solitary young woman who is pursued through a strange land as she hunts down the creatures that slaughtered her father, abducted her brother, and are now threatening her home.

When magic meets technology, who triumphs? When friend turns to enemy, what can be saved? And what happens when we drop bombs on fairyland? The Story of Echo tumbles readers down these rabbit holes, beginning on a late-summer morning when Echo, our protagonist, witnesses the butchery of her family, through to her aligning with those who may do her harm yet, to besiegement by increasingly punitive forces. Her ascent from provincial naf to troubled polymath wreaks more harm than good as she drags friends, allies and bystanders into a bloody conflict with an old acquaintance who, in his traitorous push for dominion, has allied with a terrifying dragon clan whose power cannot be resisted, except perhaps by the humblest of virtues - the willingness of gift one's life for others.

So - that second pair of eyes. Is this you? I can reciprocate for something similar.

t.i.a.

~ * ~

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

Hey...ive never posted in here so im not quite sure if this is what im supposed to do...but:

Id be willing to read it over
    You know, if you think about it, there are 7-8 billion people in the world. Think of the odds. The fact that we're all here with each other kinda makes you believe in that whole destiny thing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Birb View Post
    Hey...ive never posted in here so im not quite sure if this is what im supposed to do...but:

Id be willing to read it over
    That's great - thanks! Can I send you the first three chapters? Where shall I send them to?

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,

It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

- Wham!

uhm, if you want to pm me thatd be fine, unless you want to email them or something.

either way, pm me and we'll figure it out
    You know, if you think about it, there are 7-8 billion people in the world. Think of the odds. The fact that we're all here with each other kinda makes you believe in that whole destiny thing.

Sure, I'd be interested. I'll PM you the email address (not allowed to post it in a thread.)

Hey dude, I sent you my email, did you get it?

Mail me about 500 words. It's been a while since I was critiquing manuscripts, but I may be able to tell you where, and why, the rejection slip came out.
    Jay Greenstein
    My articles on writing.
    The goal isn't to tell the reader that the protagonist is terrified, it's to terrorize our reader.

How far into the process did the rejections happen? In other words, is the synopsis working and getting you requests for the whole manuscript?

Blog Entries
    Hi all - thanks for responding and sorry for tardiness; I will respond to you all today(Sunday) or tomorrow.

It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

- Wham!

Blog Entries
    Jack re: how far into the process rejections happen, it's at the query stage, with queries of 1 cover letter, synopsis and first 10 pages or 3 chapters

It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

- Wham!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast