Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite/Least Favorite

Favorite/Least Favorite

So, out of curiosity I would like to know: What is your favorite genre to write? Whats your least favorite? Why?

I guess I'll start it off.

I personally like writing fantasy the best, even reading fantasy more than anything else. The reason I like it is because I like to make worlds, being able to turn our reality into something that is much more interesting than what currently exists has always fascinated me, and is why I enjoy reading, video games, and comics as much as I do.

For my least favorite, it is most definitely Romance. Two big reasons for that, one is that it is so overdone these days. Often you see a book either be straight romance or have some type of romance incorporated into it. Not only that, but there is a clear story structure that most romance stories follow.

Anyways, what are your favorites?
    Last edited by Birb; December 7th, 2017 at 12:44 AM.
    You know, if you think about it, there are 7-8 billion people in the world. Think of the odds. The fact that we're all here with each other kinda makes you believe in that whole destiny thing.

Favorite :

Mystery, hands down. That's for both reading and writing. I love trying to figure things out.

Least favorite :

A tie between romance and fantasy.

Reason for not wanting to write them : I feel both are over done, so why add more.

Reasons for not enjoying reading them : Romance is just too predictable for me to want to read. Fantasy? Too many fantasy books that I read had me rewriting them mentally, and that was before I started writing. To me, that's a sign that something's wrong with the writing. Now there have been a few fantasy books that I have enjoyed. But many more, including very popular ones, that I disliked or hated. That's one reason I was reluctant to read Harry Potter. It was popular. I enjoyed the early HP books, but found the later ones lacking.

My favorite is mystery or historical fiction. My least favorite is romance. I like historical fiction with a mystery bend because it allows me to incorporate familiar people and places. I like the idea of creating emotional situations that have a lure to them, figuring out who did what and why.

I tried romance a couple of times, but it just didn't feel right. Like Jack, I think it's predicable and hard to come up with story lines that are interesting and not so transparent. I do not object to relationships or friendships, but romance is just not my cup of tea.

Good question!
    When the night has come
    And the land is dark
    And the moon is the only light we'll see
    No, I won't be afraid, no I won't be afraid
    Just as long as you stand by me.

Young Adult. I like to write about emotional growth, and teens are at a good age for changing.

I like to write in all genres, though mystery is probably beyond my abilities. So that plays out as Y/A, Y/A adventure, Y/A fantasy, children's book in Y/A style, adult book in Y/A style, and, well, you get the picture.

Blog Entries
    I enjoy writing fantasy, for much the same reasons as you - the ability to worldbuild and quite frankly to escape. With fantasy you can also explore alot of themes, play with writing styles. The little droppings I get in my mind - images, names, words, events, snippets of something or other - simply don't lend themselves to any other genre very much.

Least favourite? I don't really have one. I'd write in whatever genre I felt compelled to write in.

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of all trades View Post
    Too many fantasy books that I read had me rewriting them mentally, and that was before I started writing. To me, that's a sign that something's wrong with the writing.
    Funnily enough, this is one reason I like to write fantasy. It seemed like the whole genre was ripe for a re-go-over. Sites like Mythic Scribes have frequent articles bemoaning the "death of fantasy" and how the genre is still in thrall to Tolkien and so forth, all of which is arguably true and which is what I aim to address. I want fantasy that is fabulous (as in fable-like) yet accessible.

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

Weird adventure stories are my favorite.

Don’t like writing emails. Especially for work.
    Embrace Impermanence.

My favorite is .... weird. Not really SF or fantasy but fiction with a twist. I don't know what the technical genre term for that is.

My least favorite is mystery because I can't construct a solid one.
    thisWomanCodes
    A twice-weekly programming blog
    Infield Singles: Baseball Poems myFoodWeek.com
    A weekly menu for a family of four
    Eclectica: Genre Poetry

I guess I can't say that I have a least favorite. If I don't like a genre I just won't write it, so that leaves me with varying degrees of favorite, right? Horror tops that list. Most of what I write has elements of horror in it. Even my thrillers are built around the generation of fear. I also write some science fiction, and other, less definable, stories. All of them are dark however.
    “Fools” said I, “You do not know
    Silence like a cancer grows
    Hear my words that I might teach you
    Take my arms that I might reach you”
    But my words like silent raindrops fell
    And echoed in the wells of silence : Simon & Garfunkel

Those who enjoy stirring the chamber-pot should be required to lick the spoon.

Our job as writers is to make readers dream, to infiltrate their minds with our words and create a new reality; a reality not theirs, and not ours, but a new, unique combination of both.

Visit Amazon and the Kindle Store to check out Reflections in a Black Mirror, and Chase

https://www.amazon.com/author/terrydurbin

Quote Originally Posted by astroannie View Post
    My favorite is .... weird. Not really SF or fantasy but fiction with a twist. I don't know what the technical genre term for that is.

My least favorite is mystery because I can't construct a solid one.
    Weird fiction is its own subgenre nowadays, though wiki has it as an offshoot of slipstream, which is incorrect. And my favorite as well. I generally write a combo of sf/horror with a little dark fantasy. Textbook weird.
    My least favorite is romance, though I do write a bit of it, or combine its tropes with others for more weird.

Due momentarily! Reserve your copy now by donating: Test Patterns.

"From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast