Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Choice of improving

Choice of improving

Iíve had advice that falls into two basic groups:

A)Perfect spelling, grammar and punctuation is your only concern. No story can survive without it.

B) Story trumps all. A good story can have its technical issues corrected. Adding spice to the meal after itís cooked is hard.

Iím not implying that these arenít important but where should I spend my time? A note about me, SP&G is not very good.
    Illegitimi non carborundum 'Vinegar' Joe Stilwell
    What you learn in life is important, those you help learn, are more important.

Both SPaG and story are important. Typos, poor grammar, etc make an author look like an amateur. Flat characters do the same, though some get away with it somewhat. Boring or unbelievable / inconsistent story, kills it, in my opinion.

Having said that, there's a time and place for everything. Story and characters are most important during the draft/editing phases. At the end, SPaG is most important. Sending off or publishing a manuscript with SPaG issues is pretty deadly to your career.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelwrah View Post
    I’ve had advice that falls into two basic groups:

A)Perfect spelling, grammar and punctuation is your only concern. No story can survive without it.

B) Story trumps all. A good story can have its technical issues corrected. Adding spice to the meal after it’s cooked is hard.

I’m not implying that these aren’t important but where should I spend my time? A note about me, SP&G is not very good.
    I'm always trying to improve my SPaG. Even when posting here I try to use correct punctuation and (mostly) proper grammar. The same hold true when I work on my books and stories. I try to get the SPaG right from the jump, but I don't paralyze myself by obsessing about it. In the first draft story is king. In the second I'm looking for ways to strengthen, tighten, enhance the story. But, if I see SPaG issues during the rewrite, I don't hesitate to fix them. Later drafts are for the final polish in which the roles of story and SPaG get reversed. I'm most concerned with SPaG at that stage, but I'll fix any story issues that pop up. I wish I could be more like some writers on this site who can write pretty clean copy the first time through, but I'm not.
    ďFoolsĒ said I, ďYou do not know
    Silence like a cancer grows
    Hear my words that I might teach you
    Take my arms that I might reach youĒ
    But my words like silent raindrops fell
    And echoed in the wells of silence : Simon & Garfunkel

Those who enjoy stirring the chamber-pot should be required to lick the spoon.

Our job as writers is to make readers dream, to infiltrate their minds with our words and create a new reality; a reality not theirs, and not ours, but a new, unique combination of both.

Visit Amazon and the Kindle Store to check out Reflections in a Black Mirror, and Chase

https://www.amazon.com/author/terrydurbin

I think whenever you are asking someone to read your work, and provide a critique, you should do all you can to make it look professional before you even submit it. Poor SP&G is very distracting and sometimes it makes it difficult to even determine what the story is about. My downfall is tense, so I am really grateful when someone points it out to me when I slip up. Anyway, take your time with your work. When I write, I usually go full steam on the story line, and then go back and re-read to find all the errors. I don't think you can do both at the same time. Good luck and keep on with it. Develop your style and technique and before you know it, you will be telling another newbie how it's done.
    When the night has come
    And the land is dark
    And the moon is the only light we'll see
    No, I won't be afraid, no I won't be afraid
    Just as long as you stand by me.

Blog Entries
    I think probably both. Me personally, I edit as I go because the style is a major part of it; plot can (mine can, at any rate) be summed up by synopsis, or a few lines' worth of chapter summaries, or is subject to change etc., and when I reread a section, as I do before writing the next bit, I need to be taken back into the voice in order to continue, and poor SPaG would compromise that. So both - but which one you do first depends on individual preference, in my view.

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

Thanks all for your comments. I obsess with SP&G because I'm so bad. A high school English teacher said I was close to a functional illiterate with my grammar skill. I know my SP&G detracts from my stories, makes them less appealing and even terrible. It clouds and hides the story.
    My two editor friends argue about. One says give me a very good story and I'll have it edited, the talent to write a story is a talent not a skill. My other editor friend disagrees. I see both sides and try to walk the border between them.
    Illegitimi non carborundum 'Vinegar' Joe Stilwell
    What you learn in life is important, those you help learn, are more important.

I don't see poor SPaG in your posts, so it can't be too bad.

Let me tell you a piece of advice I was given here. You won't be a writer if you spend all your time hanging out and talking about writing. You have to write. That's paraphrased, but close to the actual words.

Don't let your friends get you down. Write.

Even if a story is good, multiple SPaG errors jolt me out of it. Even finished copies occasionally arrive with one or two that aren't picked up.
    My SPaG is pretty reasonable at the first attempt so I guess I'm one of the lucky ones (comma Nazism excepted). However, it's far easier to fix SPaG than to fix plot holes in a story. So I would suggest focusing on the stories and ask for help with the SPaG once it's complete.
    Last edited by Phil Istine; November 16th, 2017 at 08:55 AM.

It's a combination of both.

A good story is only as good as the framework holding it up, and good writing means nothing if there's no story behind it.
    Site Rules and Regs

My Novel

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got into my pyjamas I'll never know." ~ Groucho Marx.

"It is better to be feared than loved, if one cannot be both". ~ Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer". ~ Bruce Lee.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few". ~ Shunryu Suzuki.

"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face". ~ Oscar Wilde.

"He who learns but does not think is lost; he who thinks but does not learn is in great danger". ~ Confucius.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    It's a combination of both.

A good story is only as good as the framework holding it up, and good writing means nothing if there's no story behind it.

I disagree with this analogy. You are implying the writing is the framework, whereas I feel the story is the structure of a house. The writing is the paint and shingles.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast