Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Choice of improving

A house won't hold up very well without a foundation.
    Site Rules and Regs

My Novel

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got into my pyjamas I'll never know." ~ Groucho Marx.

"It is better to be feared than loved, if one cannot be both". ~ Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer". ~ Bruce Lee.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few". ~ Shunryu Suzuki.

"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face". ~ Oscar Wilde.

"He who learns but does not think is lost; he who thinks but does not learn is in great danger". ~ Confucius.

Blog Entries
    The writing is the bricks, the grammar the mortar. The story is the design of the building - the architectural vision. The driveway is the front cover and the chimney and the waste pipes and the skips out the front show us the glorious effluent, the syntactic deluge that hints at the editing process. Each room is its own chapter; the pieces of furniture artfully-arranged paragraphs - a feng shui of fixtures and fittings bestowing semantics and meaning and voice. Font choices are window boxes positively brimming with the season's newest serifs, just blooming. See the child's play room, a veritable toy jumble in life-affirming 14pt comic sans.

Gardens? Subplots. A flat, a condo or an apartment is a piece of flash fiction, a self-contained unit in a wider presumed backstory of common areas and service elevators - and we assemble it all over a wooden 2-by-4 framework of writerly craftsmanship sat manfully atop a solid foundation of reinforced linguistic competency (or is it competence, I'm drawing a blank).

I thought everybody knew that. Watch Grand Designs if you don't believe me.

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    A house won't hold up very well without a foundation.
    That would be realistic, 3D characters.

Quote Originally Posted by bdcharles View Post
    The writing is the bricks, the grammar the mortar. The story is the design of the building - the architectural vision. The driveway is the front cover and the chimney and the waste pipes and the skips out the front show us the glorious effluent, the syntactic deluge that hints at the editing process. Each room is its own chapter; the pieces of furniture artfully-arranged paragraphs - a feng shui of fixtures and fittings bestowing semantics and meaning and voice. Font choices are window boxes positively brimming with the season's newest serifs, just blooming. See the child's play room, a veritable toy jumble in life-affirming 14pt comic sans.

Gardens? Subplots. A flat, a condo or an apartment is a piece of flash fiction, a self-contained unit in a wider presumed backstory of common areas and service elevators - and we assemble it all over a wooden 2-by-4 framework of writerly craftsmanship sat manfully atop a solid foundation of reinforced linguistic competency (or is it competence, I'm drawing a blank).

I thought everybody knew that. Watch Grand Designs if you don't believe me.
    Cute. Flawed, but cute.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of all trades View Post
    Cute. Flawed, but cute.
    Well, yeah ... anything that mentions, invokes, or allows for the existence of comic sans can never be perfect.

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

There's a third consideration that was left out of the OP, IMO. It's an aspect which has been touched upon and even called out by name in this thread; the writing.

SPaG isn't 'the writing'. It's a part of it. SPaG is part of what gives our writing its feel and texture, but only a part. What I call 'the writing' is made up of voice, tone, rhythm and pace -- not the pace of the story, that's different, but the pace and flow of the language. It's authorial voice and style.

SPaG is a large component of 'the writing'. If you don't believe that just pick up a copy of anything written by Cormac McCarthy, or, even closer to home, look up something written by our own Jon M. But it's not SPaG, or story that really separates Hemingway from Tolkien, Poe from Palahniuk, or Clarke from Wells, it's 'the writing'. Each author's own unique voice.

You can have a great idea with terrific characters, have every comma in just the right spot, and every word spelled correctly and still have a terrible (or bland) story if it's not told well, and that's something that can be worked on too.
    ďFoolsĒ said I, ďYou do not know
    Silence like a cancer grows
    Hear my words that I might teach you
    Take my arms that I might reach youĒ
    But my words like silent raindrops fell
    And echoed in the wells of silence : Simon & Garfunkel

Those who enjoy stirring the chamber-pot should be required to lick the spoon.

Our job as writers is to make readers dream, to infiltrate their minds with our words and create a new reality; a reality not theirs, and not ours, but a new, unique combination of both.

Visit Amazon and the Kindle Store to check out Reflections in a Black Mirror, and Chase

https://www.amazon.com/author/terrydurbin

Off Topic:
    Spencerport! Home of the best bookstore ever!

What Terry's writing about is the persona that the writer projects, that makes you want to read the rest of the words, to trust that you're in good hands as you begin your journey. To me, that's the biggest part. And you can tell right away: YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO.

Due November 2017! Reserve your copy now by donating: Test Patterns.

"From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

When I rush, my SP&G goes south. I'd love to have a story with the a couple of SP&G issues. I have that in 100 words. Well That's what I'm getting in a 100 word story place I'm on. So, thanks to all for your comments, they're appreciated and enjoyed.
    Illegitimi non carborundum 'Vinegar' Joe Stilwell
    What you learn in life is important, those you help learn, are more important.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelwrah View Post
    Iíve had advice that falls into two basic groups:

A)Perfect spelling, grammar and punctuation is your only concern. No story can survive without it.

B) Story trumps all. A good story can have its technical issues corrected. Adding spice to the meal after itís cooked is hard.

Iím not implying that these arenít important but where should I spend my time? A note about me, SP&G is not very good.
    I'll vote for B. Frankly, I thing PaG is 30% of writing. But if your SPaG is horrible -- and some people have such bad SPaG that it jolts people out of the story -- then you probably can't fix it. Finish your story, then someone else will have to fix it. If you don't have a story, you have nothing.

I don't know what you mean by "perfect". If there is such a thing, no one does it and no one cares. PaG is the bones that your story sits on, and it adds life. So effective PaG is very useful. But lots of things are useful, and no one has it all. Write the story.

B has my vote, too. Copy-editors can handle A if you can't.

Due November 2017! Reserve your copy now by donating: Test Patterns.

"From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12