Thread: First short story self published

Blog Entries

First short story self published

Hi

I just self published on amazon and I'm not trying to promote the story. Of course all my friends have said they're interested. I've joined several groups on facebook and I'll probably be making a twitter account to do the same on there.

Is there anything else I could be doing? Bare in mind I have ZERO budget. I'm not concerned with being the next J K Rowling I would just like a fair few people to read my stuff.

Cheers

One possibility is to put a link to it in your signature here, then post a few critiques or join some conversations. Don't know how much that would increase, but all it costs is a little time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagunco View Post
    Hi

I just self published on amazon and I'm not trying to promote the story. Of course all my friends have said they're interested. I've joined several groups on facebook and I'll probably be making a twitter account to do the same on there.

Is there anything else I could be doing? Bare in mind I have ZERO budget. I'm not concerned with being the next J K Rowling I would just like a fair few people to read my stuff.

Cheers
    The general rule of thumb is to have an audience before you self-publish. The way to do that is to submit to periodicals/anthologies and gather readers that way, and also get money with which to finance your efforts. Having already defied Descartes, you've made the road harder to negotiate.
    Buy a Facebook ad. They cost around ten-twenty US and do a decent job, in my experience. Network with people in your genre. Distribute some free copies for reviews/publicity. The general run of self-pubbed books sell less than 100 copies.
    This is an example of why. Be prepared.
    Good luck.

Due November 2017! Reserve your copy now by donating: Test Patterns.

"From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

Blog Entries
    I could have sworn I replied to all this but apparently I haven't.

Thanks for the advice I will alter my signature and forgive my ignorance but I wouldn't know where to start looking for periodicals to write

Determine what genre your work falls into and then google. There are publishers for almost any sort of written work.

Due November 2017! Reserve your copy now by donating: Test Patterns.

"From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx