Writing is easy

Page 1 of 11 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Writing is easy

Writing is easy

I'm doing it now. Anyone who answers is writing back.
    Fiction is telling lies. Either you're a good liar and want to tell extended stories, or you're lying to yourself. There's nothing wrong with either. This isn't value judgement-time. But you is what you is.
    Inspiration is over-rated. Most writers just sit down and start writing. They have a stock of ideas on hand and often juggle multiple pieces, simply out of love for the act of creation and sometimes out of the need for increasingly small bits of filthy lucre.
    Writing is a skill, a teachable, quantifiable ability. Effectiveness and skill level may vary, but the act is the same. It is putting words one after the other in an attempt to entertain, amuse, educate. If you don't enjoy that, then you should probably do something else, and own that.
    Hidden Content
    "From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

Yes, and it's unnecessarily complicated by a lot ​of people.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got into my pyjamas I'll never know." ~ Groucho Marx.

"It is better to be feared than loved, if one cannot be both". ~ Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer". ~ Bruce Lee.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few". ~ Shunryu Suzuki.

"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face". ~ Oscar Wilde.

"He who learns but does not think is lost; he who thinks but does not learn is in great danger". ~ Confucius.

Blog Entries
    Nah bollocks. If you're not suffering, if every keystroke is not like a stab to the eye, then you're not doing it properly.

Last edited by bdcharles; November 12th, 2017 at 09:38 PM.

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

Well, blanket statements like that aren't exactly a logical fallacy, but maybe a relative. Well, Moderan did put in a qualifier. Let's just say some people find it hard (even some writers). I do agree, I can't help myself, I usually find time during the day to write something.
    "Self-righteousness never straddles the political fence."

Midnightpoet

"The bible says to love your neighbor. It's obvious that over the centuries it has been interpreted as the opposite."
    (sarcasm alert)

Midnightpoet

Hidden Content Hidden Content

No wonder I'm terrible at lying, irl. It seems I need help on becoming a master of deceit.

I don't believe you
    Hidden Content
    "From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by bdcharles View Post
    Nah bollocks. If you're not suffering, if every keystroke is not like a stab to the eye, then you're not doing it properly.

You might be thinking of poetry.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by moderan View Post
    I'm doing it now. Anyone who answers is writing back.
    Fiction is telling lies. Either you're a good liar and want to tell extended stories, or you're lying to yourself. There's nothing wrong with either. This isn't value judgement-time. But you is what you is.
    Inspiration is over-rated. Most writers just sit down and start writing. They have a stock of ideas on hand and often juggle multiple pieces, simply out of love for the act of creation and sometimes out of the need for increasingly small bits of filthy lucre.
    Writing is a skill, a teachable, quantifiable ability. Effectiveness and skill level may vary, but the act is the same. It is putting words one after the other in an attempt to entertain, amuse, educate. If you don't enjoy that, then you should probably do something else, and own that.
    I used to think so too, Mod, but I was told very recently -- by someone convinced enough to use a very large number of words -- that I am wrong.

But, in all seriousness, I agree. One of my favorite how-to books about writing is Lawrence Block's, Telling Lies for Fun and Profit. I will admit, however, that the book was more motivational for me than technically helpful.

Inspiration is a great thing. It makes getting started less work, but it's far too often confused with motivation. Motivation we have control over. We can decide when to sit down and write. We can establish goals and create plans to achieve them. We don't have to wait for some ethereal muse to crap on our heads. Think of inspiration as an interesting co-worker; it's great to spend time with him/her, but if you make plans to meet for drinks after work and s/he doesn't show you can still get drunk (that's the motivation part). It just won't be as much fun at first.
    “Fools” said I, “You do not know
    Silence like a cancer grows
    Hear my words that I might teach you
    Take my arms that I might reach you”
    But my words like silent raindrops fell
    And echoed in the wells of silence : Simon & Garfunkel

Those who enjoy stirring the chamber-pot should be required to lick the spoon.

Our job as writers is to make readers dream, to infiltrate their minds with our words and create a new reality; a reality not theirs, and not ours, but a new, unique combination of both.

Visit Amazon and the Kindle Store to check out Reflections in a Black Mirror, and Chase

Hidden Content

Perzactly. Just establish a routine. Everyone knows how to create a habit. It's commitment-shyness that's the stumbling-block. I know publishing pros who suffer from impostor syndrome. Part of the writer's toolkit. We are all not worthy
    The trick is to miss the ground
    Hidden Content

Even routines aren't strictly necessary, but they're nonetheless useful.

Sometimes I write for weeks on end, never taking any breaks, and sometimes I'll go two and three weeks without penning a thing because of other monopolisations on my time. But every time I sit down to the keyboard, it's like I haven't missed a minute. It's just there from years of writing on demand, anywhere, at any time.

The notion of having a muse, or waiting for inspiration to strike, is possibly the most self-limiting thing a writer can give credence to -- right up there with writers' block (oh, don't let this devolve into one of those discussions).
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got into my pyjamas I'll never know." ~ Groucho Marx.

"It is better to be feared than loved, if one cannot be both". ~ Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer". ~ Bruce Lee.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few". ~ Shunryu Suzuki.

"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face". ~ Oscar Wilde.

"He who learns but does not think is lost; he who thinks but does not learn is in great danger". ~ Confucius.

Page 1 of 11 123456789 ... LastLast