Poetry Hill Basecamp chat

Page 1 of 29 12345678911 ... LastLast

Thread: Poetry Hill Basecamp chat

Poetry Hill Basecamp chat

Use this thread to welcome new members to the Hill, get to know each other and chat. This is our social space.

Welcome to new members; Grizzly, Sara Ella and Sumguy. Jump in guys and let's get to know each other.

Okay, I'll go first... I like to be called jen and poetry is my passion. I have an intuitive approach when I read a poem and look for feeling and message above all else. I have read and learned a fair bit about the techniques and 'rules' of poetry and find it all fascinating and fun, but it appeals to my reasoning. Whereas, when I read a poem, I enjoy it best when it connects at a deeper level and changes my understanding in some way. For me, a poem can exist outside all of the accepted rules and still have great power. Anyway, whether a poem follows a set form or not, it is this strange quality of poetry - allowing minds to connect - that I think we can celebrate here on Poetry Hill and work together to get our poems where we want them to be. Remember though, any advice or suggestions given here, like all critique anywhere, is only based on personal opinion and should be weighed up for value, by the poet, before being applied. Like any artist, poets should defend their poems from any suggestions that take it further away from that original vision but sometimes, through discussion and ideas thrown out there by others, we can see layers that were not apparent before that can add extra depth to our own work.

Well, that's me and how I feel. How about you?

Hello,

I am Sumguy, but you can call me Sum, guy, big dummy, whatever suits the moment. For my day job, I design, develop, and deliver training for engineers. However, I have always enjoyed reading fiction, and have occasionally turned my pen to fiction. I also have noodled around with poetry, but have never taken the time to truly study the art. I certainly do not read enough poetry, and hopefully the members here will remedy that. I do recognize when something trips my trigger, though I don't always know why, and I expect to explore that further in this workshop. My skin is generally pretty thick, so critiques will never be an issue with me. Well, except that I don't always understand the lingo. But, maybe I can pick some of that up along the way as well.

To be fair, my current focus (outside of work) is a novel I am working on. However, I feel like poetry will actually help considerably in that endeavor, so I expect to be a regular contributor. I am looking forward to working with you all.

Regards,
    Sumguy

Hi Guy (see how poetry creeps in everywhere! ) I like that comment about not knowing why something 'trips our trigger.' I think that's true for a lot of us and kinda describes how poems resonate on a level below/above reason. I've even discovered that hearing the reaction of a reader to my own poems goes a long way to helping me understand the feelings that inspired it - often feelings I hadn't acknowledged before.

I write prose too and I've found that writing and discussing poetry definitely helps to get an ear for a nicely turned phrase, and becoming aware of the internal 'sound' of words placed together can increase the power of all forms of writing.

Hi everyone!

I'm Griz, pleased to meet you. Currently I'm finishing up my last year at university, studying Linguistics. Poetry helps me go deeper with linguistics, and linguistics has definitely impacted my approach to poetry! I'm interested in pushing the boundaries of what is considered 'poetry' and 'language' and really unraveling words as we know them. That said, some of what I submit here might be experimental and wonky — sorry if any of you are more traditional!

Overall, I want to see how poetry relates to breath, how it can be used to help the writer and reader 'wake up' and return to the present moment. What is the role of poetry in this shifting paradigm? How can words/language point to our healing, our liberation? I have a strong determination to fine-tune my craft, as well as sharpen my ability to dissect others' pieces.

Anyway, thanks for reading my spiel. Looking forward to delving deeper with y'all!
    To be water. To be the Hidden Content .

Hi Griz, Experimental and wonky sounds exciting and challenging to me - it also describes much of my baking.

What a super and unusual approach to poetry and words you have! Your take on our poems here on WF will certainly be fascinating and maybe give us new insights and ideas. I remember a comment you made in the Poetry Discussion forum - 'poetry is like a finger pointing at the moon and by concentrating on the form, you are looking at the finger rather than where it's pointing.' I'm sure you worded it much better, but that was the sense of what you said and it was a great piece of wisdom.

I'm looking forward to sharing our poetry here on the Hill and discovering the different routes we are taking as we express ourselves through our work.

Hey everyone, great news! My good friend, Darren White has agreed to come in and help out as an extra voice in our discussions. Welcome to Poetry Hill, Darren. Jump in here and introduce yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by jenthepen View Post
    Hey everyone, great news! My good friend, Darren White has agreed to come in and help out as an extra voice in our discussions. Welcome to Poetry Hill, Darren. Jump in here and introduce yourself.
    Thanks jen

I am Darren, and I am still at University, doing an MA in Arabic Poetry.
    I have written poems for as long as I can remember.... in Dutch. About 18 months ago I decided to start writing poetry in English, and here I am

I like to write in conventional and not so conventional ways. I have also tried to write stories, but for some reason those always end up being poems, so eventually I gave up.

Nice to meet you all, I am looking forward to reading your work.
    Last edited by Darren White; October 31st, 2017 at 05:16 PM. Reason: grammar, grammar

Thanks Darren, I imagine that your knowledge of poetry in a range of languages gives you a rare understanding of the ways that a poetic effect can be created. You and Griz should have some interesting chats around language and how it works in poetry.

Page 1 of 29 12345678911 ... LastLast