Poetry Hill Basecamp chat - Page 2

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891012 ... LastLast

Thread: Poetry Hill Basecamp chat

Hello Everyone! Sara Ella here. During the day I am in banking-numbers, numbers, numbers. As much as I enjoy helping customers and financing, I LOVE language and being creative with words <3 So, here I am experimenting with words in poetry. I do not know the technical side of poetry, have not studied the art and have been very grateful that there are patient poets (Darren) to inspire and encourage my efforts. I am looking forward to sharing and learning! <3 So happy to be here!

Quote Originally Posted by jenthepen View Post
    Thanks Darren, I imagine that your knowledge of poetry in a range of languages gives you a rare understanding of the ways that a poetic effect can be created. You and Griz should have some interesting chats around language and how it works in poetry.
    jen, thank you.
    Yes, I was reading about his studies, and about the sort of poetry he likes. I imagine there is some interesting overlap there. Fertile soil for fruitful conversations.

Quote Originally Posted by jenthepen View Post
    Another member joins us on the Hill. Welcome TuesdayEve.
    Hello TuesdayEve, welcome here!

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Ella View Post
    Hello Everyone! Sara Ella here. During the day I am in banking-numbers, numbers, numbers. As much as I enjoy helping customers and financing, I LOVE language and being creative with words <3 So, here I am experimenting with words in poetry. I do not know the technical side of poetry, have not studied the art and have been very grateful that there are patient poets (Darren) to inspire and encourage my efforts. I am looking forward to sharing and learning! <3 So happy to be here!
    Heya number cruncher, ready for some poetry fun?

Hi Everyone,
    Thanks jen, glad to be here. My name is Dominique, I live in northern Illinois and am a school bus driver for high school aged students. My early route is regular kids( for lack of a better term which I'm working on) and the rest of my day is transporting special ed students to the work locations where they're met by a job coach. Their abilities are accessed for future employment.... I love photography, I try to take pictures... love beading, doing it is sporatic these days, also love animals... one of my jobs in my 63 yrs was a zookeeper, I animal sit for a core of long time clients....and I love both jobs
    Aside from the special occasion roses are red poems for family, I've been writing poetry almost ever day for four months and have learned a great deal from so many here at WF, so again, glad to be here.
    Last edited by TuesdayEve; October 31st, 2017 at 05:00 PM.

Thanks Darren,
    There must be a slight delay with the posts for I hadn't seen the above welcome or Saras' intro before I posted...or maybe it's me

Griz, you asked about shuku in a different thread..my research shows shuku has different meanings in different languages. The first time I looked it up it equated with enlightenment, did not take note of the language and I moved on. Later, I looked it up and found a variety of definitions, Swahili= doubt, Chinese= store room, Japanese = bright and early as well as other times of day...

Quote Originally Posted by TuesdayEve View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    Thanks jen, glad to be here. My name is Dominique, I live in northern Illinois and am a school bus driver for high school aged students. My early route is regular kids( for lack of a better term which I'm working on) and the rest of my day is transporting special ed students to the work locations where they're met by a job coach. Their abilities are accessed for future employment.... I love photography, I try to take pictures... love beading, doing it is sporatic these days, also love animals... one of my jobs in my 63 yrs was a zookeeper, I animal sit for a core of long time clients....and I love both jobs
    Aside from the special occasion roses are red poems for family, I've been writing poetry almost ever day for four months and have learned a great deal from so many here at WF, so again, glad to be here.
    Hi Dominique, we've met already in another thread, but good to see you here now.
    You have a lot of hobbies and two jobs as well, I am awed. It's a miracle you have time for poetry at all!

It's funny you mention this
    :roses are red poems
    That > Hallmark thread < is fun, isn't it

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Ella View Post
    A love of language and creative writing is the best qualification for any poet, Sara Ella. It will be exciting to share your poetic journey.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren White View Post

jen, thank you.
    Yes, I was reading about his studies, and about the sort of poetry he likes. I imagine there is some interesting overlap there. Fertile soil for fruitful conversations.

Hello TuesdayEve, welcome here!

Heya number cruncher, ready for some poetry fun?
    Thanks, Darren. Your input here will make a real difference. By the way, I don't think I'm revealing any secrets when I let you know that our Griz is a lady.

Quote Originally Posted by TuesdayEve View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    Hi, Dominique. Such an active life and so many interests and experiences. You'll never be at a loss for material for your poems.

Just when you thought things at Poetry Hill couldn't get any better...

I just heard from Firemajic and rcallaci accepting my invitation to join our group and share their poetic expertise and long love for poetry with us. We are so lucky to have three poets who are not only talented and passionate about the art but who have all demonstrated their special interest in helping others discover their own potential. Darren has already introduced himself so I'll get out of the way and allow Firemajic and rcallaci to say hi too.

I’m quite delighted to be here; poetry and prose are great passions of mine. I’m an old net poet. I’ve been doing my scribblings on the web for well over twenty years. I’ve been writing for over forty. I’ve been on WF since its inception fourteen years or so.

I’ve read great poetry, good, and no so good poetry on this site as well as writing some damn good and innovative poetry as well as some laughably bad ones. Don’t be afraid to fall square on your ass, I did many a time. I dabble in many styles of poetry---I love haiku type poetry (short-- as well as narrative).

I also love heaping in lots of rhyming, alliteration, and assonance in some of my poetry – I’m what you would call a Bel-Canto poet, (it means beautiful singing.){Think Gilbert and Sullivan} I view poetry as song, and many of my poems hopefully have a musical quality.

What’s the point of my introduction- well the point being is that I’m still learning; I’m still a student of the craft. I make mistakes in grammar, syntax, and styling and have been known to make my own up. I’m somewhat of a maverick poet; I break the rules(know them first) and do what I call variations. Basically I’m self taught; I started out quite raw and slowly weaved my way into being a decent poet. I read and wrote a lot of poetry, I listened to criticism even though some of it was not favorable. The best advice that I can give is believe in yourself, experiment, learn as many styles of poetry as you can, imitate and in time you’ll gradually find your own voice. Don’t worry about making mistakes, listen to your inner ear, and remember that poetry is a subjective art.

I’m looking forward to reading your poetry and giving some helpful advice along the way. We’re going to have some fun....

Warmest
    Bob
    Nature weeps, the devil sings
    at mans greed and pride
    and what it brings

Just lots of useless
    little things

Thanks, Bob. It's great to have you here. Your ear for melody and the finely-tuned phrase will be invaluable.

Okay everyone, we have everything in place now and are good to go so we might as well declare Poetry Hill open. Remember to read the guidelines for posting on the main Poetry Hill forum -

especially important is to start a new thread for your poem so that you have your own space for comments, questions and suggestions.

You may post a poem at any time but, after posting, please allow at least a week for us to discuss and work with it before posting another.

OK lets go! Let's have fun and enjoy working together.

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891012 ... LastLast