There are only two plots, or: How to have an existential crisis in writing - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelwrah View Post
    I agree, the basic plot lines are limited, yet a writer will always need to make the story their own. Meyer with 'sparkling' vampires. You may not like her writing but she provided her twist/take on vampires. This is where the boundaries are limitless. I mean coffee is coffee but how large is the menu at Starbucks?
    For me, the writing is the story, the plot, as a driving force, is secondary or tertiary. An idea isn't a story, but is very much, the seed for a story.
    The menu at starbucks is about 40 items, not counting size variations

Quote Originally Posted by Pelwrah View Post
    ...For me, the writing is the story, the plot, as a driving force, is secondary or tertiary. An idea isn't a story, but is very much, the seed for a story.
    A story (or storyline) without a plot is a theme. A theme without a plot is a message. A message without a plot is masturbatory...and you go blind so you don't do it again...ask Milton.

Quote Originally Posted by VonBradstein
    Bottom line: Regardless of whether you care about plot, and I care little for it myself as far as my day to day writing is concerned, it exists nevertheless

Et tu?

I could make a story that didn't follow either one. But it would suck.

I was told this to in a writing class, that there is only those two type of plots, by the professor. I suppose that is true, I looked at the stories I wrote and some were a stranger comes to town, and some were a person goes in a journey. I suppose every story can be broken down to being on or the other, but so what? They are both acceptable and shouldn't get wrapped up in if your story is one or the other, I don't think.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345