Don't Dish it Out, If You Can't Take It - Page 5

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Don't Dish it Out, If You Can't Take It

Quote Originally Posted by Chester's Daughter View Post
    I love you, Jul. You're a master at offering critique that is skill level appropriate, and are able to teach even the greenest of the green. When I recently told you how much I value your contributions, I should have told you you are my right hand instead of just alluding to it. So here goes, you, Jul, are my right hand. Thank you for all you do, my darling.

Thank you, Lynn, pink cheeks here thanks to your very kind words. You've read my post and now know that I, too, came here knowing nothing. I guess that's why I'm on this particular mission, loath to lose folks like you. I'm thrilled that you're staying, before you know it, you'll be teaching the green, too.

Lisa, you were one of the most patient, kind, generous mentors I had, when I arrived here, shy, scared... and desperate to be heard... I am only giving back what was so kindly given to me....
    it is because of you and Gumby, rcallaci and many more, that I am the mentor that I am... I learned from the best...

Lynn, my mentoring door is always open, and I would be honored if I could help you in any way... poetry is my passion and I can see that you are passionate about your work... we have so much in common..
    She lost herself in the trees,
    among the ever-changing leaves.
    She wept beneath the wild sky
    as stars told stories of ancient times.
    The flowers grew toward her light,
    the river called her name at night.
    She could not live an ordinary life,
    with the mysteries of the universe
    hidden in her eyes....
    Author: Christy Ann Martine

Death leaves a heartache no one can heal,
    love leaves a memory no one can steal....
    Author unknown.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Firemajic View Post
    Lynn, my mentoring door is always open, and I would be honored if I could help you in any way... poetry is my passion and I can see that you are passionate about your work... we have so much in common..
    Thank you so much Fire! I really appreciate that. I just put my second poem out there, which I think was a great improvement from the last one. I hope it is well received. I will wait a bit and see how others comment, but if I really get stuck and can't apply their feedback to improve my work I will definitely reach out!

You are most kind, like everyone I have met on this site so far. I am really enjoying being here. Thank you so much!
    Things dangerous to come to - To see behind walls, Draw closer, To find each other,
    And to feel. That is the purpose of life.
    Please follow my blog and support me!! (You won''t be disappointed)
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Articulate Lady View Post
    Sometimes you don't even know what to ask, because you can't understand any of it all. Unless you want the person to explain every last detail to you.

You keep asking until you understand ... period. What good is wisdom and knowledge given, if it is not understood? It is worthless... Be bold, don't be shy, if someone critiques your work... they damn well better be able to answer EVERY question you have...
    hidden in her eyes....

Author unknown.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Firemajic View Post
    You keep asking until you understand ... period. What good is wisdom and knowledge given, if it is not understood? It is worthless... Be bold, don't be shy, if someone critiques your work... they damn well better be able to answer EVERY question you have...
    This is a very true point. I will try again with my next piece. I think my first one couldn't be helped, unless I totally re-wrote it, since it had all the repetitions like someone mentioned. But you're right, I shouldn't be afraid to ask.
    Things dangerous to come to - To see behind walls, Draw closer, To find each other,
    And to feel. That is the purpose of life.
    Please follow my blog and support me!! (You won''t be disappointed)
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thank you so much Fire! I really appreciate that. I just put my second poem out there, which I think was a great improvement from the last one. I hope it is well received. I will wait a bit and see how others comment, but if I really get stuck and can't apply their feedback to improve my work I will definitely reach out!

You are most kind, like everyone I have met on this site so far. I am really enjoying being here. Thank you so much!
    No, thank you... poets like you are my inspiration, and why I still love mentoring...
    hidden in her eyes....

Author unknown.

Blog Entries
    Sometimes you don't even know what to ask, because you can't understand any of it all. Unless you want the person to explain every last detail to you.
    To be fair I would if I didn't understand any of the critique offered, it is sometimes the only way to learn and it also allows others to see what type of help you are needing, I use this approach when dealing with critiques I recieve on my work and especially in my basic poetry.
    Check out my ebook
    Hidden Content on sale now.
    Hidden Content

Memories at midnight is now out in Hidden Content

Why not check out the Hidden Content and join in the latest challenge discussions.

That's okay! Remember the old saw, "give someone a fish, you feed them for a day; teach them how to fish, you feed them for a lifetime." When I started teaching, an older hand reviewed a bunch of my graded papers. He said, "your comments remind me of a tennis coach I had once. He watched me serve a number of times, then said to me, clearly a little annoyed, 'you're serving the ball into the net. Stop serving the ball into the net.' then he glared at me." I protested vehemently that I was NOT doing that. The older hand pointed out that I'd circled 4 examples of subject/verb disagreement and in my summary of errors I wrote "review subj/verb agr." I blushed and mumbled "stop serving the ball into the net. . ." How could the writer RE-view something he hadn't yet "viewed"? I got it. I referred the student to a specific section of the text and told him I didn't want to see such errors in future papers. I didn't. Returning to our context: if a new poet has, say, written a metaphor, the parts of which simply do not work together, simply don't make sense, I don't mind commenting on "every last detail" of that issue, but with a view to using those details as a springboard into Metaphor-At-Large. Or, if available, I might be able to refer the poet to an extant thread that discusses Metaphor. Or if in doubt, I might ASK how comfortable the new poet is with metaphor? Maybe not at all. Maybe we can get a conversation going? I guess what I'm getting at, from one angle, is if you are a neophyte eager for basic guidance on basic stuff, just say so. You might even preamble a particular poem with specific concerns you'd like help on. And please don't think because you're new to the Art that your opinion in 'less than'. NOT SO. Poetry is an Art of feeling, emotion, intuition, and imagination. You bring all of that to bear on every poem you read, and just because you may at this stage lack a 'technical' vocabulary, does not mean you don't have insights of value to the poet. We're all in the same boat, trying to find the right paddle. . . .

Excellent post, clark. One point I would disagree slightly,

'You might even preamble a particular poem with specific concerns you'd like help on.'

My experience is that such requests are better placed after the piece of work. There are a certain number of people who will be put off by it and never get past to the poem, but more, it is a good idea to let people form their opinion first before asking questions which may influence their reading.
    A new story

I finally got 'A Family Business' recorded and loaded, all 37 mins of it, much longer than any I have done before.
    Hidden Content

A timely caution, Olly. I agree--position specific concerns after the piece itself. Makes more sense.

An interesting topic. There was a slightly grey area in your argument that I want to resolve; am I allowed to beat people around the head with their own manuscripts?