Don't Dish it Out, If You Can't Take It - Page 12
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2456789101112

Thread: Don't Dish it Out, If You Can't Take It

Quote Originally Posted by sas View Post
    Well, color (colour) me on the side of equity.
    It has its points, I am biased toward the long term good of the forum. Not at odds with equity.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    http://www.oliverbuckle.com/

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. http://www.writingforums.com/threads...Piglet-s-Picks

Well, I have a practical side--I have no idea how in hell this happened-- but in four days I'll be 80 years old, and no matter how much I love writing poetry and talking about poetry, damned if I'll waste precious time writing anything about a poem whose author has previously indicated no interest, or arrogant response to what I have to say. I wrote an extensive critique on a poem in a LinkedIn group, a critique that included a couple of key questions for the poet to consider. Her response was to tick "thanks". Later, she sent me an indignant note that I was commenting on other poets' work, but no longer commented on hers. Now that takes balls. But I'm not interested. I couldn't care less if a poet concurs with my opinions, but I do care about dialogue. That's what these forums should be about. Even if you are in awe and write a few lines of untinting praise, you can indicate those aspects of the piece you found especially noteworthy, and why. Isolating those aspects opens discussion with the poet, who may have found some of them weak him/herself, and is surprised. A conversation starts. Others join in. At the other end of the scale--quite unusual on these boards--if a 'poem' is, to you, little more than scattered notes looking for some sort of form or substance, and you choose to comment, you have an obligation to find a courteous way of telling it like it is, even to a neophyte. Death to the one-liners! LinkedIn and Hubpages and other host-sites are full of groups that caress and fondle each others' hackneyed drivel like Sacred Text. Olly reminded us that all poetry is 'good', we can't all be 'serious', there is indeed a place in the full orchestra of Poetry for the dude that tinkles the triangle twice in a two-hour concerto. Of course there is. I'm just not interested. I'm passionately interested, though, in the kids who make all sorts of errors as they screech and saw cacophonous cat-wails on their violins. . .but you feel and occasionally hear the crackle of the fires in their bellies to become lead violin. And I'm passionately interested in all the players between there and lead violin. That's what I mean by "serious", Olly, because, as Marvel puts it so simply, ". . .at my back I always hear/Time's wing-ed chariot hurrying near. "Gotta stay ahead of that bastard, Olly, and I wanna do it doin' the stuff I wanna do. Milton called it "enlightened self-interest"! Cheers to all. . . .

"I believe in nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of the imagination". Keats, ​Letters

"Coleridge would let go by a fine isolated verisimilitude caught from the penetralium of mystery, because of an irritable reaching after fact and reason." Keats, Letters

"No man is an island entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main . . . any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind. And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls -- it tolls for thee. " John Donne, Meditation XVII

I agree, Clark... time is precious and should not be wasted on those who have no intention of actually working to improve their skill, or those who use the fabulous poetry thread as a poetry dump...

I also agree that ALL aspects of a poem should be addressed...positive comments are vital, as you said.. it gives the poet a "jumping off" point, and is valuable in the editing process...
    Check out the exciting Poetry Hill !!

If you are a writer, reach a reader
    If you are a fighter, teach a leader
    If you are a lover, touch a leper
    If this has helped you, thank you, reader

If you can read this, teach a thinker

Author: Lynn Loschky

Death leaves a heartache no one can heal,
    love leaves a memory no one can steal....
    Author unknown.

Clark, Here is wishing you an early HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Time does fly.....
    Thanks for your inspirational words and poetry!
    Nellie

"I have my books and my poetry to protect me
    I am shielded in my armor, hiding in my room,
    safe within my womb
    I touch no one and no one touches me
    I am a rock, I am an island."
    ~Simon & Garfunkel

Humility is key. However, it seems itís the moment we think we have achieved it - that we lose it.
    Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard are sweeter.
    Keats

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2456789101112