Don't Dish it Out, If You Can't Take It - Page 11

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Don't Dish it Out, If You Can't Take It

It may be that someone gives valuable crit that is ignored by an arrogant arsehole, sorry, 'special snowflake', more fool him, he has lost a chance to learn, but there will be others reading the thread who may well profit from his missed lesson.

I would agree with PiP it is foolish giving crit by pm, not only is it depriving others of the chance to learn from it, the person giving it may be missing something important, or even be completely wrong, and no-one will know or pick them up on it. Let's keep it out there and up front. There is also a little devil in me that wants to suggest you can not edit the first post of a thread, make them think and check before they post, and stop them editing it away if they don't like the comments, let's us go on talking about it even if they don't want to hearhttps://www.writingforums.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

Edit, that didn't work, imagine a little devil smiley at the end.
    A new story

I finally got 'A Family Business' recorded and loaded, all 37 mins of it, much longer than any I have done before.
    Hidden Content

Gosh, Danny, I guess I must ask, "If your neighbor noticed a fire next to your house, would you expect him to tell you? Probably. You'd be damn grateful, too. (as you are here). But, you'd give yourself a pass ,if his was burning down, and go on your way?"

You are one of the reasons I no longer workshop in Poetry group. I just can't sort out and keep track of who wants workshop efforts; who gets offended by them; and, who is a user. Pick one.

I'd prefer that when you post (and, I like your work) you would say that workshop isn't expected on it. I have done exactly that on certain of my posted poems. I don't want anyone wasting their talent and efforts, on something I have no intention of changing, and am only sharing it. I no longer do that either.

For me, this is a family. In all families everyone, except young children, do something to help. That's what adults do.

Yes, I've a prickly side.
    Last edited by sas; October 11th, 2017 at 12:55 PM.

For me, this is a family. In all families everyone, except young children, do something to help. That's what adults do.
    Can't we count posting beautiful poems? Danny was one of the reasons I joined wf in the first place. Though I have barely commented on his poetry I have had a lot of pleasure from it. Yes I have a selfish side
    A new story

I finally got 'A Family Business' recorded and loaded, all 37 mins of it, much longer than any I have done before.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    Can't we count posting beautiful poems? Danny was one of the reasons I joined wf in the first place. Though I have barely commented on his poetry I have had a lot of pleasure from it. Yes I have a selfish side
    Danny could start his own blog. Or, as I suggested, just say he isn't participating in workshop efforts. I have done that on particular poems I've posted. I guess I see it differently. Using others without giving back. A new member (last name starts with Von) just spent a great deal of time making excellent suggestions on Danny's last post. So, when the new member posts his work, Danny gets a pass and can just hit "thanks" to show his undying appreciation. Fudge.

So you're saying that we shouldn't use the "LOL" button as a mean-spirited response to work that wasn't meant to be funny?
    You can never hate something so thoroughly as that which destroys what you love, and who is more guilty of this crime than the stranger who was once a lover?

This isn't life or death. There's no fire. Given the choice between communism and anarchy I'll always choose the latter. Not chaos mind you, but free expression and/or the right to not express. Family? You know that my way or the highway doesn't fly with me. You can choose to like it or lump it but until the admins set it down in stone, I ain't doin it.

Well, we ARE a writing "community".... what is a community, and how does it function? Google it, I did... I am here to learn, to participate, to give and yes, to take... and when I log in, I want to give my best.... and when I log out, I like to think my time was well spent....
    She lost herself in the trees,
    among the ever-changing leaves.
    She wept beneath the wild sky
    as stars told stories of ancient times.
    The flowers grew toward her light,
    the river called her name at night.
    She could not live an ordinary life,
    with the mysteries of the universe
    hidden in her eyes....
    Author: Christy Ann Martine

Death leaves a heartache no one can heal,
    love leaves a memory no one can steal....
    Author unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    Can't we count posting beautiful poems?

Looks like I might need to find a new pond to haunt as I don't offer even that much...

Quote Originally Posted by Darkkin View Post
    Looks like I might need to find a new pond to haunt as I don't offer even that much...
    Leave it out Seriously, people like you and Danny I would hesitate to crit anyway. Sometimes I might spot what is a specific point, but generally what I could say would probably not be very useful, and being useful is the main point for me.
    It takes all sorts to make a world, and I am quite happy if some people choose to be unpleasant to me. Generally I ignore them, but then I have the luxury of not being staff any more, it can colour one's thinking
    A new story

Hidden Content

Well, color (colour) me on the side of equity.