A middle way, between big publishers and self-publishing - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A middle way, between big publishers and self-publishing

Quote Originally Posted by Iconian View Post
    Apparently AW didn't like the mere idea of a list to try to find the best publishers out there. But publishers judge the submissions they receive--I see no reason authors shouldn't be able to judge the publishers.
    It's not a question of "shouldn't be able" in terms of "shouldn't be allowed to". It's just not really possible to do it in an accurate and simple format. It's like starting a thread attempting to determine, in an authoritative manner, what sport is the "best". There are just way too many variables. Same deal with publishers.

I've worked with somewhere between five and ten publishers since I started writing. I wouldn't recommend a single one of them as cross-the-board best for everyone. It's just not how the business works.

I've worked with somewhere between five and ten publishers since I started writing. I wouldn't recommend a single one of them as cross-the-board best for everyone. It's just not how the business works.
    Even so, there are probably one or two of those that you've worked with that you'd never want to work with again--and probably a couple you'd recommend to a lot of authors. They might not be suitable for all, but they'd be suitable for many. There are just certain things that rise to the top, the cream of the crop.

For example, I myself am more familiar with video games than books. Thousands, perhaps millions, of video games have been released since they were first invented, but there are some that just end up becoming so universally loved, because of their excellence and value, that they are recognized for years to come. People are still talking about The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time, Mario, Age of Empires 2, Total Annihilation, Starcraft and Warcraft, Half Life 1 & 2, Halo, Final Fantasy 6 and Chrono Trigger, the Metal Gear Solid games, Gears of War, Dark Souls, The Elder Scrolls games . . . and a few dozen others, out of all the many thousands of games that have ever been created. Why does anyone create a "best of" list of video games, or books, or songs, or anything else?

Yes, it is subjective. But there are some that rise to the tops of their genres, franchises, and more. Some stand the test of time better than others.

A list of the best publishers may never be entirely complete, and not every author will find every publisher on the list useful. But that doesn't make the list useless--anymore than any "best of" list is useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Iconian View Post
    Even so, there are probably one or two of those that you've worked with that you'd never want to work with again--and probably a couple you'd recommend to a lot of authors. They might not be suitable for all, but they'd be suitable for many. There are just certain things that rise to the top, the cream of the crop.

For example, I myself am more familiar with video games than books. Thousands, perhaps millions, of video games have been released since they were first invented, but there are some that just end up becoming so universally loved, because of their excellence and value, that they are recognized for years to come. People are still talking about The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time, Mario, Age of Empires 2, Total Annihilation, Starcraft and Warcraft, Half Life 1 & 2, Halo, Final Fantasy 6 and Chrono Trigger, the Metal Gear Solid games, Gears of War, Dark Souls, The Elder Scrolls games . . . and a few dozen others, out of all the many thousands of games that have ever been created. Why does anyone create a "best of" list of video games, or books, or songs, or anything else?

Yes, it is subjective. But there are some that rise to the tops of their genres, franchises, and more. Some stand the test of time better than others.

A list of the best publishers may never be entirely complete, and not every author will find every publisher on the list useful. But that doesn't make the list useless--anymore than any "best of" list is useless.
    I think it's much easier to come up with a "never work with" list than a recommendation list.

But of the publishers I've worked with that I'd recommend? None of them meet your criteria. I'd recommend Dreamspinner and Riptide for people writing m/m or LGBTQ literature, but they don't publish women's fic, het romance, etc. And they don't have wide bookstore distribution. I'd recommend Berkley (Penguin/Random House) to people who want broad distribution in a variety of genres, and to those who want significant advances and to build an audience, but they wouldn't meet your 50% royalties idea, not by a longshot, and they only take submissions from agents; once you have an agent, you take the agent's advice about where to submit, not the advice of an internet thread.

So from those 5-10 publishers (8, I think), I wouldn't recommend any to you​. But there are some I'd recommend to other authors with different books and different goals.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12