Thread: Can WF add more subcategories to Non-Fiction

Blog Entries

Can WF add more subcategories to Non-Fiction

While I write fiction, I also write non-fiction, so I wondered if we could get more subcategories under Non-Fiction like:

Essays
    Travel Articles
    Food/Cooking Articles
    Online Media Articles

There are many Non-Fiction categories, I just choose the ones I thought were more profitable.

Depending on what you mean by essays, all of the suggestions fall under the banner of journalism. That was part of the rationale for including a journalism sub-forum.
    "I don't know ... I'm making it up as I go ..." - Dr I Jones

Nature abhors perfection - cats abhor a vacuum!

"Faith can move mountains - she's a big girl!" (unknown/graffiti)

If I act like I own the place, it's because I do.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cran View Post
    Depending on what you mean by essays, all of the suggestions fall under the banner of journalism. That was part of the rationale for including a journalism sub-forum.
    Hmmm, Essays as Journalism. Feature journalism maybe.

I guess I was put off by the subcategory title. I am not a professional journalist. I am not in a technical field nor a science field. I am just a writer.

I have only had a few articles published, one could be considered a feature, a few were interviews, and then there's one about my book. Then, over the years, I have blogged about movies and about cooking and publishing.

My essays were written for a writers group.

Just don't see my work as journalism, information maybe, entertaining hopefully, persuasive or motivational would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    Hmmm, Essays as Journalism. Feature journalism maybe.
    Sure. Most, if not all, feature or regular columns in newspapers and magazines are essays. Editorials are almost always essays.

I guess I was put off by the subcategory title. I am not a professional journalist. I am not in a technical field nor a science field. I am just a writer.
    The term professional journalist was traditionally applied to news journalists, so the journalism connection to other writers - professional or not - who produce other works for publication in periodical print media, broadcast media, or online media, is still unfolding in the community psyche. As a one time news journalist, who has also made an occasional living in B2B (business to business) and tourist/marketing media, I see it as a mixed blessing.

Just don't see my work as journalism, information maybe, entertaining hopefully, persuasive or motivational would be great.
    Information is the cornerstone of journalism; entertaining is good for long term success. Persuasive or motivational are great but more often applied to marketing or promotion of a cause.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cran View Post
    Sure. Most, if not all, feature or regular columns in newspapers and magazines are essays. Editorials are almost always essays.

The term professional journalist was traditionally applied to news journalists, so the journalism connection to other writers - professional or not - who produce other works for publication in periodical print media, broadcast media, or online media, is still unfolding in the community psyche. As a one time news journalist, who has also made an occasional living in B2B (business to business) and tourist/marketing media, I see it as a mixed blessing.

Information is the cornerstone of journalism; entertaining is good for long term success. Persuasive or motivational are great but more often applied to marketing or promotion of a cause.
    I don't disagree with you. I just don't call myself a journalist, I just believe that title belongs to those who have gotten a Journalism degree and work in the field. I am a writer. I like writing non-fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    I don't disagree with you. I just don't call myself a journalist, I just believe that title belongs to those who have gotten a Journalism degree and work in the field. I am a writer. I like writing non-fiction.
    I understand. The issue that exists for the forum, however, is how fine to carve out spaces for specific uses when overall size and complexity is creating blow-back from members. The only things I can suggest is to add explanatory sub-titles, just as we've had to do for many forums over the years, or to find another umbrella term with which members are more familiar or comfortable.

Blog Entries
    I do think that NF could do with a face lift. The explanations could include more info, however as I suggested before you can always add what type of NF you have written.

Quote Originally Posted by H.Brown View Post
    I do think that NF could do with a face lift. The explanations could include more info, however as I suggested before you can always add what type of NF you have written.
    Ahh. That assumes people putting more effort into the titles and placements of their offerings, beyond say, 'something I wrote last night for school/fun/the hell of it'. Applying logic to writers is ... well, risky, to say the least.

Blog Entries
    It is risky but sometimes it pays off, I will have a think about NF forum and see what my mind comes up.