How to respond to critique - Page 6

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How to respond to critique

Quote Originally Posted by CatWolf View Post
    You bet! Constructive is key!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellie View Post
    You're right. Constructive critique is the key!

The critiques HAVE been constructive... if you disagree, please point out the offending critique via a PM to staff or use your report button... maybe our idea of "constructive" is not in sync...
    She lost herself in the trees,
    among the ever-changing leaves.
    She wept beneath the wild sky
    as stars told stories of ancient times.
    The flowers grew toward her light,
    the river called her name at night.
    She could not live an ordinary life,
    with the mysteries of the universe
    hidden in her eyes....
    Author: Christy Ann Martine

Death leaves a heartache no one can heal,
    love leaves a memory no one can steal....
    Author unknown.

Poets rock most certainly!

I'll talk about myself, to make it less general and more personal.

Everyone has a style of critiquing, no doubt about it, and also everyone is prone to certain moods, at least I am.
    I put up my poems, in whatever forumpart for critique. Because I feel that the poems I put there are lacking.... something....
    Some days I am able to work my way through the critique, and improve my poems, other days I am not doing well and I get confused and end up tangled in my poem and see no way out.
    And then there are the days I am simply sleepy and grumpy, and take everything that is said the wrong way.

That is why I have decided to step back when I feel I am starting to understand critique given as way too personal. Sleep on it a night, look at it the next day.

Because indeed, critique given is given to IMPROVE, not to belittle, and I am grateful to everyone taking the time to read my poems and even leave comments for me that help me move forward.

I love WF. Before I became a member, a few years ago, I was writing my poems and hiding them in a drawer. Then I found WF, and I was fortunate to have some fabulous mentors: Chester's Daughter, Gumby, Candid Petunia, Toddm, rcallaci, Bachelorette Squalid Glass... Through their critiques and mentoring I not only improved, but I gained confidence and knowledge... If not for the poets here, at WF, I would not be who I am today... As a mentor, I want you to have the same experience that I have had, I want you to be excited to log in, I want you to be nurtured as a poet, I want you to be heard, understood, inspired and uplifted... not beat down, stepped on and hurt... my objective with this thread, was to make sure each poet was receiving everything they needed to grow, improve and stay passionate about their writing. If we do not check in with our poets, we will not know if their needs are being met. It seems that through this conversation, some STILL feel like I am on some kind of vendetta or crusade... There is NO NEED for any more nasty PM's... You may rest assured that I will NEVER comment on your work again. For those who want more than a pat on the back... I am here for YOU... if you are not getting what you need, please let me or any of our fabulous mentors know, we are here to help...
    Earlier in this post, I mentioned my first mentors, here at WF... I would like to say that each of you, in the poetry thread are mentors... every time you critique a poem, offer advice and encouragement... you are mentoring.. so thank you, DarKKin, Jenthepen, Midnightpoet, Olly, sas and everyone who inspires me every day, through your dedication to poetry, I am still learning and growing, and THAT is a fabulous thing
    hidden in her eyes....

Author unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren White View Post

I'll talk about myself, to make it less general and more personal.

Everyone has a style of critiquing, no doubt about it, and also everyone is prone to certain moods, at least I am.
    I put up my poems, in whatever forumpart for critique. Because I feel that the poems I put there are lacking.... something....
    Some days I am able to work my way through the critique, and improve my poems, other days I am not doing well and I get confused and end up tangled in my poem and see no way out.
    And then there are the days I am simply sleepy and grumpy, and take everything that is said the wrong way.

That is why I have decided to step back when I feel I am starting to understand critique given as way too personal. Sleep on it a night, look at it the next day.

Because indeed, critique given is given to IMPROVE, not to belittle, and I am grateful to everyone taking the time to read my poems and even leave comments for me that help me move forward.
    I fully agree. This is all I've been trying to put down on paper.... sometimes finding the correct word(s) is difficult for me, so thank you for expressing what I've been trying to say!! Some days I am totally confused and end up tangled in the poem I'm trying to create. Some words I choose may not be the word(s) others choose. I may take it the wrong way, but it is not meant to be dismissed.

Jul, please PM me regarding the nasty PM's you're being sent.

@Everyone. Just as on the boards, abuse, even via PM, will not be tolerated. If you receive any PM which makes you uncomfortable because it's abusive or harassing in any aspect, please report it immediately. We do not take kindly to members being badgered anywhere on the site. You are protected privately as well as publicly, but we need you to inform us when it comes to areas we cannot see. To anyone sending suspect PM's, may I suggest an immediate cessation. If you're found out, you will be moderated accordingly. Thank you.

On a much happier note, those following this thread may recall Pete describing the good old days. As Jul now mentors, and with such finesse, and mentioned me as one of her mentors, I feel it should be known that Pete was one of mine, along with Baron, dannyboy, Olly, and a few others who are dear to my heart but are no longer active. I knew nothing when I came here, and I mean nothing. Ugh, my "work" was deplorable. Thanks to the mentoring I received, I was able to eventually help others, and they in turn are now helping more folks. It's a lovely domino effect I've always been extremely fond of. What we teach budding poets today will continue to assist budding poets of tomorrow through the passing down of knowledge. It's a legacy that will ensure the art of Poetry will exist in perpetuity. Sincerest of thanks to everyone who takes the time to stoke the flames of future brilliance.

Quote Originally Posted by Chester's Daughter View Post
    On a much happier note, those following this thread may recall Pete describing the good old days. As Jul now mentors, and with such finesse, and mentioned me as one of her mentors, I feel it should be known that Pete was one of mine, along with Baron, dannyboy, Olly, and a few others who are dear to my heart but are no longer active. I knew nothing when I came here, and I mean nothing. Ugh, my "work" was deplorable. Thanks to the mentoring I received, I was able to eventually help others, and they in turn are now helping more folks. It's a lovely domino effect I've always been extremely fond of. What we teach budding poets today will continue to assist budding poets of tomorrow through the passing down of knowledge. It's a legacy that will ensure the art of Poetry will exist in perpetuity. Sincerest of thanks to everyone who takes the time to stoke the flames of future brilliance.
    When I joined WF, Baron was still here. As was dannyboy, Olly, and Silvermoon. I was invited by Silvermoon, whom I've known many years through another forum--Writer's Cafe in Coping with Epilepsy. She was my mentor and encouraged me and several others to join this forum. I was very reluctant in the beginning, but with Laurie's ability to inspire others, I joined. She is the one person that saw the ability in me, despite my damaged brain, that I could improve my writing, overcoming my "aphasia". Words can be encouraging or discouraging. Sometimes words freeze the brain, or put it on hold for a bit. Laurie isn't a "mentor" as such, but she is my mentor as I'm sure she has been to many others. Thanks!
    Last edited by Nellie; August 18th, 2017 at 06:24 PM.

astroannie.... another fabulous mentor... and Musichal... we have had some of the BEST...
    hidden in her eyes....

Author unknown.

Astroannie is the one who 'dragged' me over here from "nuther site"

Quote Originally Posted by Firemajic View Post
    . and Musichal... we have had some of the BEST...
    Hmmm..... where has he been?

As a mentor, when I critique a poem, it serves 2 purposes, one purpose is to give information to the writer.. a different POV... just that, nothing personal... the second purpose is for me to receive information from the writer... and the way a writer responds to a critique says so much about the writer.....
    hidden in her eyes....

Author unknown.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast