How to respond to critique

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How to respond to critique

How to respond to critique

PULEEEEZE remember, most critiques are not a personal attack, seriously, get over yourself! How are we going to learn and grow as writers if we are constantly offended by any critique that is NOT dripping with empty praise and vain ego massaging. I am a serious writer, I am here to learn, I am not here to have my fragile ego polished... give me a break. If you do not agree with the critique, just say "Thank you for reading " and mooooooove on......
    She lost herself in the trees,
    among the ever-changing leaves.
    She wept beneath the wild sky
    as stars told stories of ancient times.
    The flowers grew toward her light,
    the river called her name at night.
    She could not live an ordinary life,
    with the mysteries of the universe
    hidden in her eyes....
    Author: Christy Ann Martine

Death leaves a heartache no one can heal,
    love leaves a memory no one can steal....
    Author unknown.

Second that...
    The only one who can heal you is you.

"Take this kiss upon the brow!
    This line is kinda cliché and unoriginal...
    and, in parting from you now,
    thus much let me avow-
    you are not wrong who deem** Maybe rework this line... it sounds obscure...
    that my days have been a dream;

Ok, here, Mr. Poe, you are losing me... what hope has flown away ... and why???
    yet if hope has flown away
    in a night or in a day,
    in a vision, or in none,
    is it therefore the less gone?
    All that we see or seem*** LOOOOVE the last 2 lines! You nailed this, Edgar.. I mean Mr. Poe...
    is but a dream within a dream."
    Edgar Allen Poe, The complete stories and Poems

Hummmm... interesting Mr. Poe... I thought your first line was ... well, kinda cliché and not very imaginative OR original.... then you wondered off track a little bit and where is your imagery? Nice mood though, I think with a little bit of polishing, you could have a fabulous poem...

Ok, why am I critiquing Edgar Allen Poe? Just to show you that not everyone is going to like everything you write.
    EVERYONE reads poetry differently, everyone interprets the poet's words in a PERSONAL way... so what does it mean... when I have a negative comment about Poe's poem... Does that mean I do not love and respect Edgar Allen Poe? No, it does not. Does it mean that I think I can write BETTER than Mr. Poe? Nooo, it does not... It simply means that I have an OPINION... Nothing malicious... Nothing belittling or reflecting your lack of intelligence... or skill... My opinion is MY POV, given so that the poet may understand what the reader is receiving from the words, mood imagery ect... That is all... truly... this was not a personal attack on Mr. Poe, it was NOT a personal attack of his work... it was just my %$#$^ opinion, given with respect, and honor... that's all...

I am always honored when I am lucky enough to receive a critique of my work. I Appreciate that the writer of the critique has taken the time and energy to try to offer me a DIFFERENT perspective... a new way to see the same thing, I love to be challenges and pushed out of my comfort zone... I cannot tolerate stagnation and a one dimensional way of thinking, that strangles creativity....
    hidden in her eyes....

Author unknown.

I heard that! Why's everybody always pickin' on me? [THE COASTERS "Charlie Brown"]

Site:
    Hidden Content

The simplest truths are written on the wall,
    where we see imaginary greatness in our fall.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeC View Post
    I heard that! Why's everybody always pickin' on me? [THE COASTERS "Charlie Brown"]

* SMOOOOOOCH*....... Ooo.....
    hidden in her eyes....

Author unknown.

Blog Entries
    Fire! I am aflame with relief for your exampling how to critique a Poet ! I wonder if he's stark raven mad, turning over in his grave, because you have your own mind; minding his work with your gift for critique.

Sometimes crybabies cry because they are spoiled (Whahh! My way or no way!). Sometimes crybabies cry because they are hurt (Ouch! Who threw me out with the bath water?!)

I think it all boils down to how an Opinion is delivered. If members followed an iota of your lead, not a whimper would be heard - one way or the other.

You, the , who's got the words wrapped around her finger.

Silver
    Last edited by SilverMoon; August 15th, 2017 at 09:02 AM.
    “The man who cannot visualize a horse galloping on a tomato is an idiot.”
    Andre Breton

It's an interesting thing. Critique is a valuable tool for any writer, whether new or established. The ones of value are not the 'I love this, so moving' type, but the ones that get under the skin of your work and start to question the whys and wherefores. I have improved thanks to critique, and I know others from a range of forums and groups who have also improved.

Interestingly, the ones who develop best are those who listen, think about what's being said and why it is being said, then filter which advice has value for them and examine how they can use that going forwards. Those who either ignore or bicker over reviews rarely move forwards, and can often go backwards due to a misplaced complacency.

I've never understood why writers will put a piece of work up for workshopping or critique and only value one-liners sayings its good rather than in-depth explanations of how it could be improved. Of course, what happens is those who offer in-depth and useful critiques avoid the writers who quibble, and so all they ever get is one-liners of praise. Maybe it's a self-fulfilling prophesy?

I know that I write for a minority audience. If I showed some of my work to 20 people I'd be lucky if 1 liked it. Too many would find it lacking in poetic language and uplifting themes. They find it too skeletal in structure, too base in content and often jarring in flow. That's intentional. However, that doesn't mean I wouldn't want a well thought out critique from the 19 (or more) who don't like it. I'm interested in what they think and how it makes them feel (or not feel). It doesn't mean I'll agree with them or change anything, but I'm grateful for their time and input, and I thank them for it.

Here's the thing: they can never be wrong. They have their own tastes, their own ideas and their own opinions. If they hate my work, they are right to do so. I'm happy for that. I want to know why, not so I can change it (or change them), but so that I can explore what I'm doing in a more expansive way. Will I ever write anything mainstream? No. I write about engineering for a living and its all the mainstream I need thank you. But I'm still open to their thoughts.

I find it hard to understand whether people who ask for critique and then argue the toss are just egotists, or maybe they've been filled so full of false praise they believe it, or maybe they just can't see the points being made because they haven't worked at writing hard enough.

It's a shame, because I know many who give good critiques (I almost wrote good crit, as in 'you give good crit') will stop oiffering them to those who argue, and that impacts on the overall value of the forum, because you can also learn from critiques of other peoples' work!

Blog Entries
    I think that critique is subjective, just being told that someone likes your writing can be helpful in keeping a writer writing. In-depth critique is what a writer looks for when their work has gotten to the point where they can no-longer see all of their own mistakes. I also think we must remember that not everyone feels like they can give in-depth critique. I agree that writers need to be more open minded when receiving critique and must sift through as you have said for what they agree applies to their work and leaving the comments that don't behind instead of arguing the issue, a key thing I always remember is that not everyone can be right all the time.

I see critique similar to singing in public, people who are close to you are there to tell you, you are amazing, they build you up but it is those honest few that can stand up and tell you if you suck or not. This is how I see critiques on here if I wanted to be told I'm amazing I'd just send my WIP to my mum or sister or friends but posting it on here allows me to see what other writers think.

My main piece of advice when it comes to critiques is to take what people say with a pinch of salt, remember that people are not trying to upset you but rather the are trying to help with their comments.
    Fancy joining a photgraphy group? The check out the Hidden Content group.

Visit My Blog to get to know me better.Hidden Content Hidden Content A fun group of like minded new writers.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content A place for young writers to talk and chill.

Why not check out the Hidden Content and join in the latest challenge discussions.

IMO if you want to be a writer, in any kind of discipline, and can't handle criticism or rejection, you're in the wrong business. A thick skin, and a thicker layer of stubbornness are prerequisites in this game I've found.
    "If at first you don't succeed, aff wi' the bunnet, and in wi' the heid." - Old Glasgow proverb.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast