Another illustration - Page 8

Submit your creative works to Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Another illustration

Dear Lee, it is fabulous to see your art work and to know that you are moving right along with your book... I hope you are doing great, I have missed seeing you around... smooches and hugs, my friend... love you bunches
    She lost herself in the trees,
    among the ever-changing leaves.
    She wept beneath the wild sky
    as stars told stories of ancient times.
    The flowers grew toward her light,
    the river called her name at night.
    She could not live an ordinary life,
    with the mysteries of the universe
    hidden in her eyes....
    Author: Christy Ann Martine

Death leaves a heartache no one can heal,
    love leaves a memory no one can steal....
    Author unknown.

Thank you Ralph, you make some interesting points. I’m not aiming for the choir with this book, but a more demanding audience, one somewhat naïve in their reluctance to broaden their perspective. And I’m doing so with a literary (i.e., character-centric, thematic) eco-fiction story. Not an easy sell considering that more than a few read to escape reality, subjective beings that we are

To entice more readers sooner, I might have come up with an action-packed story, like The Water Knife by Paolo Bacigalupi which I enjoyed reading, or Suicide Seeds: A GMO Thriller by Ken Fry that I’m currently reading (ambition, corruption, murder, what more could anyone ask for and so indicative). But I’m more comfortable with the approach I took, believing it to have longevity like A Sand County Almanac by Aldo Leopold, and Heart Of A Lion: A Lone Cat’s Walk Across America by William Stolzenburg.

In any case, the illustrating I’m doing seems to help considerably. In my branding effort where I sampled illustrations, I’ve lost count of inquiries regarding when the book will be published. Also, beyond an eBook, I’ve found where a POD color version of the book isn’t as expensive as you seem to think.

Between editing and illustrating I’ve looked back at the blurbs of many similar approached books trying to understand the techniques employed. Oh, there are hooks of sorts, but not the type you may be referring to. They’re more subtle, and dare I say “literary.”

In my ongoing effort I’m constantly tweaking, and my latest blurb version is:

About Togwotee Passage

Togwotee (toe'-ga-tee) is a mountain pass in the Absaroka Mountains of northwest Wyoming. It’s a Shoshone word with one interpretation being “from here you can go anywhere,” but to seven-year-old Calan it seems a cruel joke. Growing up in the 1940s under the thumb of an abusive parent, his anger and resentment threaten to poison his soul. An intervention ushers in other difficulties, but also introduces him to a stimulating new environment, as well as a new friend whose culture understands the oneness of all life.

And so begins Calan’s twisting journey, where burdened with instincts that aren’t always helpful he’s confronted at every turn with divisiveness and injustices, which often overshadow occurrences of human decency. Will he find a measure of peace and purpose in life?

It’s a journey of mind and spirit, complemented with expressive illustrations.

PS: I sincerely appreciate you stepping forward with your thoughts. The broader the range of input a thoughtful writer receives, the better the story produced. The writing is now nothing like the tentative bits I proffered here for critique in years past.

PPS: Thank you Firemajic The older I get it seems the more I want to do and the slower I move My best to you and yours.
    Last edited by LeeC; March 18th, 2019 at 04:58 AM. Reason: tweaked blurb

Site:
    Hidden Content

The simplest truths are written on the wall,
    where we see imaginary greatness in our fall.

Blog Entries
    Lee, your work is simply brilliantly enchanting. I will be giving your thread a thourough view and read (during relaxing time) then reply as to why.
    “The man who cannot visualize a horse galloping on a tomato is an idiot.”
    Andre Breton

More appropriate to this board, here's the updated jacket cover artwork. It includes the latest tweaked blurb, and room for a UPC that Ralph reminded me of. [click on image to enlarge]

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TPI Jaket Share.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	23457

Site:
    Hidden Content

Cover looks good, it will stand out in the field of other books.

So how much were they quoting you to make a color book? (color interior, I mean.)
    What was the per-unit cost for you?

My plans so far Ralph, are to publish an eBook version (epub, mobi, and pdf) which I'm creating myself (crunch conversion on the likes of Smashwords and Amazon don't cut it). If and when there are enough eBook sales to cover the costs of printing, and/or serious requests (already have several) for a print version I'll settle on a printing service. In the meantime, to inform the requests I have received, preliminary research using the estimate calculators of several services indicates a $14 to $20 cost per book range. That is for a soft cover with 144 premium color pages, laser printed on 70# paper, and perfect bound. [In case you're wondering, I didn't investigate CS for reasons I won't get into.] I don't see such cost as prohibitive when there are books including color images (like cook books) on Amazon for around $20 to $30 retail.

Also pertinent here is that I'm not in this for fame and fortune, despite having to get by on SS. My main concern in what little time I have left is my grandson's and all our children's future. I intend the ebook to be priced between $3 and $4 which is what moves the best for similar books, and any printed version to only be a dollar or two above cost. The eBook will be free to libraries.

Gotta get back to editing and illustrating if I'm ever going to complete this project

Site:
    Hidden Content

Have you ever had a boss like this?

Another illustration I've completed for my book Togwotee Passage. I have some more illustrating to do yet, and a professional editor I trust is working his magic.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Summoned by the division Executive VP, as I enter his office he pounds his desk and bellows, "WHAT in the hell gives you the right to go changing things without my say so?"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AngryExecScene01Share.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	23750

Ummm, … what's the cocklebur in his pants now? Taking an unoffered seat without answering, I involuntarily recoil as the blinkered ass throws a binder of program listings in my general direction. The thick folder slamming against the wall knocks down a framed picture of his family, and the glass in the frame shatters with a discordant tinkling as it hits the floor. Fitting, I'm thinking. The overwrought pea-brain is Frank, balding, paunchy, and ever shirty in seeing me a problem in his little world.

Site:
    Hidden Content

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678